Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all,[p]I seem to recall seeing some recipes saying to use a buttermilk bath for several hours on fowl and briskets. This leads me to ask a couple of questions. What exactly does it do and has anyone tried doing this with a tri-tip? I am gonna be doing two tri-tips this weekend and was considering the buttermilk method for one of them. Any pointers me? Any good rubs that seem to work better than others after buttermilk?[p]Thanks in advance and happy Egging,
South O

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    South O,
    Buttermilk has enzymes that make it a true tenderizer. It also acts as a vehicle for the spices and goodies.[p]KOC is the buttermilk king, and is a huge cajun spice man. I woud think your favorite rub for the particuar cut you are cooking is the best rub to use. He likes to make a goop wth mustard, BM, and spices...and slather that on the meat.[p]Have a blast. I have been meanng to pick up some buttermilk. Been over a year since I played with it..and that is before I knew of the "goop" (or gloop?) technique pioneered by KOC.[p]Have a good one!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Help me out, NB. [p]If all of us here are Eggmen.[p]And King of Coals is the Goopman.[p]Who, pray tell, is the Walrus?[p]CB
  • Nature Boy
    char buddy,
    That would be one Don Ralston. A librarian in Monroe, MI.[p]Don't you think the joker laughs at you..hohoho heeheehee.hahaha!![p]See you soon.
    Chris

[ul][li]the walrus[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • South O,[p]Use lowfat buttermilk for your Goop. Less fat = more viscosity. This allows the enzymes in the buttermilk to do their job better.[p]-Skooter
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    South O, I have not used the buttermilk on Tri-Tip but have used it on chicken with great results.[p]But in all fairness, I am not generally a wet marinade kind of guy. Don't know why, just never cared for it. I like using dry spices mostly (rubs)[p]For Tri-Tip I like to butterfly then spread a layer of old fashioned horseraddish and some Montreal Steak Seasoning (Costco) the horseraddish is also a tenderizer. Then I tie it back together and lay on some more seasoning (same MSS) and cook indirect until internal is about 145-150 (med-rare)[p]Marv[p]
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    South O,
    On Sunday I coated a pork loin whith Ken Stones's Gilded Splinters rub and put it in a Zip lock bag full of butter milk. Eigth hour latter it went in to the BGE. Two hours after that we were eating the Best pork loin ever. Try it on the tri-tip and let us know the results.
    Fireball

• Nature Boy,[p]Just wondering ... can you inject that goop ? :)[p]Hope the Walrus drops in here ![p]Happy Egging... BB

• Nature Boy
    Yo, BB,
    Of course you could inject the goop. But I don't know what would happen.[p]Sorry. Seriously, I am goop-challenged, and know little or nothing about it, except for that KOC originated it, and it is taking the world by storm. Personally, I would try as prescribed before injecting it.[p]Just popped a Negra Modelo...dark beer from Mexico. Yum.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]Ahhh, Love that beer ! [p]Hay, I just thought Goop Injected Chicken sounded good :)[p]It sort of just rolls off your tongue does it not ? [p]Happy Egging... BB