Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck on the BGE.............Flashback Bob maybe?

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife picked up a bunch (15) OF ducks after Thanksgiving at Harris Teeter for $2.50 - $3.00 a piece. They have been in freezer since.....need to make some space and have a hankerin' for some duck. I think duck is the one thing I have not done on the BGE. Any how too's???? Seems to be a ton of fat......... Thanks, Paul

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    you've got enough to try it a couple ways, i find roasting temps make it a little greasey, i like it low and slow better, try it both ways.
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=237371&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one we like.

Duck, Whole, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lb. Duck, Whole
    *********MARINADE********
    6-8 Whole Garlic Cloves
    1/2 Medium Onion, prefer sweet, but they all work
    1/2 Cup Rosemary, Fresh, if available
    1 1/2-2 Cups Italian Salad Dressing
    Black pepper, Fresh Ground, to taste
    2-3 Lemons, Juice only
    1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce, Optional but great if you like the flavor
    ½ Tsp Chinese 5-Spice, Optional, use sparingly because it can overpower the duck!!

Directions:
    1 Place the ingredients in a blender and course puree, save some of the whole rosemary to sprinkle on the duck and fire. Pierce the duck with many tiny drain holes. This helps the marinade get in and the grease to get out. In a large container marinate 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator
    2 I have a large BGE and I get it set up for an indirect with drip pan beneath with water, beer or apple juice, 2-3 cups. Get BGE to 325°-350°F. Place duck on a vertical rack and cook about 60-90 minutes. Have no clue about internal temperature Baste every 20 minutes or so with leftover marinade from drip pan. After 20 years of doing this in the oven and now BGE for last 4, I just kinda eyeball the bird like other poultry for doneness. CAREFUL not to dry out. Or you can slow cook 225F-250F for 4-5 hours indirect.
    3 If you have fresh rosemary the left over branches are great for smoke. For wood: I have used hickory, cherry, guava and a few others I have forgotten about. I do not like a lot of smoke because the duck can be over powered and it is an acquired flavor just to like duck for many people.
    *********SIDE DISHES********
    1 Fresh asparagus, Uncle Ben's Original Wild rice w/chopped water chestnuts, pine nuts, and diced scallions. Ronrico has a pecan flavored rice in most grocery stores that is to die for with this dish. Also a couple of sweet onions quartered in heavy aluminum foil with pat butter, little powdered chicken boullion, pepper, tightly wrapped and placed on BGE for 30-45 minutes until soft to touch, IT'S HOT.
    2 Nice bottle of your favorite wine.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 05/25/90

01/29/06--Cooked a 6.3# bird today, marinated overnight added 4oz soy sauce and 1/2 tsp 5 spice chinese seasoning and placed vertical indirect @300 for 1 1/2 hours, breast temp @140, removed indirect and set direct @ 300 for 30 min temp 140'ish. shut down BGE and left bird in 1/2 hour. Total time in BGE 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours. Placed tapioca starch of skin and it was good, but due to low temps did not get crispy, my choice. This internal temp 140-145 does not dry out the duck.
  • More of a question.

My company is located in the UK and I have been there several times. Across the pond, "crunchy" duck is very popular at their restaurants.

It is a bit dry like a jerky but put inside a type of wrap with a special sauce.

I wonder if this can be recreated on the EGG.

Greg
  • Richard Fl
    There is a Thai dish called twice crispy duck, that is first steamed in a wok with soy based marinade and then it is then deep fried. Served with schezuan peppercorns and salt ground fine for dipping or the meat is placed in a panacake like roll with plum or hoisin sauce.
  • That's the ticket.

I thought about it after my post, and you are right. It is "crispy" duck.

I have had it with the pancake type roll with plum sauce. It is really good.

I wonder, if this could be done like a "beer" butt chicken to provide the steam, the bump up the temp to provide a "near" fried feel.

Thoughts?

Greg
  • Richard Fl
    Went dancing around google and here are some ideas. IMHO to get the really CRISPY that I have done and eaten out many times, I would deep fry in a wok, not on the egg.

http://www.recipezaar.com/136573
  • Midnight Smoker,[p]Try this:[p]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13045,00.html[p]Its Alton Brown's duck recipe, and it works GREAT on the egg. I like it with just a little apple wood smoke. It seems to work well with the fruit juice brine.[p]Watch out though, it is so good it is addictive.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Midnight Smoker,
    Not sure about tame duck but I do wild duck all the time. Make a rub of heaping TS (teaspoon or tablespoon depending on how much needed) cummin,a level TS powder ginger,level TS allspice,1/2 TS salt. Rub duck down well inside and out and then shove 1/2 small apple inside and let set overnight if time. Cook indirect at 325 degrees till internal temp of 155 degrees at coolest part of breast. Do not over cook as they dry out fast.

• Midnight Smoker,
    PS:[p]Be sure to follow the recipe and steam the duck first then use the egg as the oven with the cast iron pan.[p]Don't just egg the duck (though I'm sure you can find a recipe that tells you how to do just that). The initial steaming renders out much of the fat.[p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Superglide,[p]I'm confused - what part of that recipe is done on the Egg? I see quartering, steaming, and apparently frying but no grilling, smoking, or baking.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Midnight Smoker,
    If it is a farm-raised duck, cooking couldn't be simpler. Duck is fatty; hence, lo-n-slo is the way to cook them. Put some cut up oranges inside and any spice that you like; put the duck back down on a raised grid or in a V-rack over a drip pan and inverted plate setter; cook at a dome temp of 235-250 for five hours. Don't worry about meat temps; there is a lot of leeway because of all the fat. The duck will be tender, the skin crispy and all the fat will hae been rendered. A little applewood or similar might be helpful (that's what we use). They come out great every time, and they only serve two people. Enjoy!

• Midnight Smoker,
    Marvin's method sounds like what I did.
    5+ lb duck - punctured the skin with knife in lots of places and rubbed with DP STT
    250 indirect for 4 hours, removed platesetter and went direct flipping at 20 to 30 minutes
    at 4.5 hrs I increased the temp to 350
    at 5.5 hrs the thigh had just reached 190 and skin was crisp.[p]I used no stuffing or added smoke. I also foiled it for the first 1 hr which I made a note not to bother with the next time.
    I also made a note to consider going direct at 250 the whole time with a vertical roaster, but still crank it up to 350 for the last 1/2 to 1 hour.[p]The grease was all rendered out, the meat was moist and tender and the skin was crisp like a potato chip and tasted fantastic![p]Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Flashback Bob,
    I forgot the skin piercing; thanks for making the method more complete. You're right; foiling not necessary. I've thought of trying the vertical sitter but haven't gotten around to it. The simple lo-n-slo indirect works too well.