Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork chops

Options
mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have some thick pork chops would it be best to cook direct or indirect and what temp. thanks for any advice

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    How thick?

Real thick ones (1" plus) are good done direct at 400 or so until 140-145 internal.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    TRex them. I did they were great.

SteakChops022.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Another way I like to do them is the hot tub method. It works equally well for steaks. Fill your sink with 100 degree water, put the meat in a ziplock bag and submerse in the water until just the zipper is out of the water then seal it up. This gets all the air out of the bag so it can sink. Add more hot water as needed to keep it at 100 for 45-60 minutes.

IMG_0125Small.jpg

Get a really hot fire going while the meat is soaking, when you take them out of the water, get them on the grill quickly. The internal temp is already at 100 before they go to the grill.

IMG_0128Small.jpg

Sear them 90 seconds per side then rest them under foil for 10-15 minutes. Perfect med rare all the way through. -RP

IMG_0130Small.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Mike,

Is that a mini???

Greg
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep. That is the one I gave my BIL. He brought it with him when he came for Christmas.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Mike,

That is right. I remember you saying that.

How does he like the mini?

I am debating about getting it or a small for trips, vacations or just another cooking surface for sides and appetizers.

Greg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Have you considered stuffing them. I had some thick ones last week and cut the in the centerfrom one side till almost threw and from one end to the other. Made a pocket. Stuffed with mushrooms,bread crums,pepper bacon and "lunch" ham then covered with a slice of swiss. Cooked at 310 for 55 min. with internal meat temp of 145. Great I have som pics but for some reason the pic upload tools are not showing up under the message block. Any one know whats up?
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I like to grill at 425/450 to an internal temp of 150. I still can't eat pink pork. Good luckChops4.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I cooked some chops last week direct at about 350. I did about 15 minutes per side.

The funny thing was that one of the chops was over a hot spot and appeared to get quite overdone. When I pulled them off for dinner, my wife thought that specific chop tasted the best.

Greg