Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or Xtra Large? Advice appreciated!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at buying a large or an extra large. Trouble is that I like to smoke several meats at once... e.g. four racks of ribs, two briskets, etc. Has anyone found that a large has been too small? I'd like thoughts on how many full racks, how many chickens (vertical), etc. [p]I'm looking to buy my first egg... and appreciate advice from all you seasoned veterans![p]many thanks...

Comments

• TXGDS,
    I currently have a large. If I had to do it all over, I would go for the XL.[p]Martini MAn

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 8
    Options
    TXGDS,[p]I have an XL EGG and I have done four full racks of Spare Ribs in the past and had plenty of room to spare in the Egg. You can never go big enough. In fact, I am thinking about getting a second XL EGG soon...[p]Craig
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    I bought my LBGE to replace my old New Braunfels Black Diamond (and some others as well) and will be adding an XL at the Eggfest. I miss the grill space afforded by the bigger units.

The large is an outstanding first egg, and will serve you well.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I only have a large and can do 3 racks of BBR's. Only one brisket will fit with very little room for anything else. I guess you could stand 4 chickens. I have cooked a pretty large turkey with no problem.
    Most of the time it's only my wife and me eating so I find the large is big enough for me. I worry that I would use too much lump on the extra large for the meals I usually cook. My idea is to get a small to cook veggies and sausage and sides on.
    Hope it helps if only a little.

Willy
    Luvs to shoot "and less than 24 hours to go" clay :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    I bought my xl last year because of the size, i do quite a bit of entertaining, there are 8 in my family, 6 brothers and 1 sister. So with nieces, nephews, grandkids, bigger is better.
    DSC00278.jpg

Can't do this on a Lg.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I'm sure you will find lots of opinions both ways but I really like the Large.
    (In fact I have three Large and a Small now)

My preference was to get a large first and then add a second one for more
    versatility instead of one XL. Two different cooking areas with independantly controlled temps vs. one big one.

The third Large I won in the raffle at Eggtoberfest this year (dumb, drunk luck LoL. . .)
    I also purchased the small to do sides, apps, and to take to the beach, etc.

Also, the fact that I do much more smoking than grilling, particularly for the few occasions that involve preparing food for larger groups, weighed in on my decision.

I really like the shear grilling area of the XL but the shallower dome and shallower firebox limits the ability to go vertical and stack things. Also notice how little space is between the XL plate setter and the grid. The XL is still rather new so there is not nearly as many third party options available for it as compared to the Large. Check out http://www.eggaccessories.com for example.

The shape and cooking characteristics look different to me as well. Larger diameter but shallower cylinder shape with less of a dome on the XL vs. the more traditianal Egg shape.

Most XL owners dearly love (and will defend) them and I'm sure that I will someday get an XL myself eventually. BobbyQ competes and wins with two XL eggs so they ARE good smokers.

This is just my $ .02 for what it is worth, so take it at face value . . .
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    TXGDS,
    You have quite a few responses at the new forum. Check link. If you have checked then I'm sorry for stating the obvious.

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=388800&catid=1[/ul]
  • Avocados
    Options
    - Just noticed that the question was on the main forum -
    - Sorry for the duplicate post on the new forum -[p]I'm sure you will find lots of opinions both ways but I really like the Large.
    (In fact I have three Large and a Small now) [p]My preference was to get a large first and then add a second one for more versatility instead of one XL. Two different cooking areas with independantly controlled temps vs. one big one. Also, most of my daily cooks are only for 4 to 6 people.[p]The third Large I won in the raffle at Eggtoberfest this year (dumb, drunk luck LoL. . .)
    I also purchased the small to do sides, apps, and to take to the beach, etc. [p]Also, the fact that I do much more smoking than grilling, particularly for the few occasions that involve preparing food for larger groups, weighed in on my decision. [p]I really like the shear grilling area of the XL but the shallower dome and shallower firebox limits the ability to go vertical and stack things. Also notice how little space is between the XL plate setter and the grid. The XL is still rather new so there is not nearly as many third party options available for it as compared to the Large. Check out http://www.eggaccessories.com for example. [p]The shape and cooking characteristics look different to me as well. Larger diameter but shallower cylinder shape with less of a dome on the XL vs. the more traditianal Egg shape. [p]Most XL owners dearly love (and will defend) them and I'm sure that I will someday get an XL myself eventually. BobbyQ competes and wins with two XL eggs so they ARE good smokers. [p]This is just my $ .02 for what it is worth, so take it at face value . . .

• I have an XL and as expected..I love it. Cooked butts for 30 a few weeks ago with room to spare. Tonight, fired it up for three boneless chicken breast for a ceaser salad. Fired right up and burned very little lump. If the concern is wasting lump for smaller cooks...don't let that stop you, it's no big deal. Like others have mentioned, I have lot's of cooks for extended family and friends so I like having the room for big cooks. I suspect most times a large would do just fine but I'm a huge XL fan. You are going to be happy either way!
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    :blink: I have a large and feed 25 people. I cooked a prime rib roast and a ton of fish. I did it without an extended grill too. If you have a lot of people the XL would be great.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I think tis is going to be a first for me, as I pretty much always advocate for the large, but it sounds like you need the XL.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Luvs to shoot clay wrote:
    I worry that I would use too much lump on the extra large for the meals I usually cook. My idea is to get a small to cook veggies and sausage and sides on.
    Hope it helps if only a little.

Most of the "XL wastes lump" myth is just that, a myth. If you're only cooking a small meal, just build a small fire either in the middle or to one side, you don't need it blazin all the way across. You can use the XL much like a Weber kettle in this way and move whatever you're cooking from direct on top of the fire and as the smaller pieces get done move it away from the heat. This would also let you cook different things all at once, throw some potatos on an hr ahead of time off to the side, throw some meat on top the heat, some corn off to the side, you get the idea. But the XL doesn't just suck down fuel like a '60's muscle car. Unless you have hot coals spread all the way across the firebox, (in which case you're probably cooking a lot of food and need it) I doubt you'll use any more lump than in any other size egg for the same cook.
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    I guess that's yet another thing I miss about the larger cookers--the ability to have multizone heat areas on the same grid. I would likely be experimenting with using lump only on one side just to cook directly, and have the other side available as an indirect/low heat side.

Actually, I am just trying to justify another BGE :P
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Avodados,

I purchased by Lg EGG at the Eggtoberfest this past October. I have done a lot of different cooks but am still learning.

However in thinking ahead, I would like to have a more portable EGG for trips to the mountains or the beach, etc. Also, this would give me a second cooking surface for appetizers or sides.

I am torn as to whether or not a SMALL or MINI would be good for this.

I see that you seem to use a small for this purpose. How do you like it? How easy is it to transport??

Greg
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    The small 65 lbs. 13" grid...The mini 30 lbs. 9.5" grid. It's a weight thing vs. what you are going to cook. How many to feed. etc...miles out
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    milesofsmiles,

I am not too sure of the use of it.

I just know that I like to grill when on vacation. Therefore, the idea of a portable EGG is very appealing.

I have two kids and my wife, so therefore a minimum of 4 required to feed. However, we tend to bring our parents when we go out of town.

Greg
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    The small would be better, however the medium is only 95 lb. with a15" grid . it would give you more room for your cook's. a 30 lb. diff. is not much more weight to lift about if two people carry. Are mate's and a nest in the pictyre? miles out
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I am just at the point of thinking about it.

I might be ready by the time of next year's EGGtoberfest. I will probably elect for a small with a nest and mates.

Greg
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Nest yes. No mates avaliable as far as i know at this time. miles out
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Okay, well looks like I will just have deal with only having the nest.

The main thing is that I need to have it as easily portable as possible.

Now, I just have to warm up the wife on the idea.

Greg
  • Avocados
    Options
    The mini is smaller, lighter, and easier to transport than the small, but it is purely a grilling machine and does not have indirect capabilities.

I went with the small because on vacation I usually have the wife and two kids to feed so the larger cooking capacity of the small was a plus. Also wanted to cook indirect with the plate setter or be able to do some pizza.

It is also great for sides, apps and small cooks at home.

There are some cool options and innivations available for the small as well.

I have a set of Chubby's 'Grate Mates' which you can see written up on the Naked Whiz site. TJV at eggaccessories.com should have a Woo2 extender available soon along with other small goodies.

WessB built a nice wooden, travel box for his small. You can see it here http://www.wessb.com/Tips/smtransport/small_transporter.htm

I