Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring is Here (S. IL) and Spring Garden is IN - a bit off topic

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Took half a day off of work on Monday and I just couldn't resist, I put in the spring veggies. I told myself that I was just going to till the beds and get them READY to plant, that was IT. Then my wife called in the afternoon and said that the Dean of Agriculture where she works had already put his spring seeds IN. Thats all it took. So, the lettuce, radishes, carrots, cabbage and broccoli are in the ground. In a few weeks I'll be feasting on salads topped with egged chicken breasts, pork tenterloin etc. Should be good.[p]Troy

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    sprinter,
    I saw my Crocuses starting to bloom this morning.
    But the best part about the weather starts tomorrow; the Tribe plays the Phillies at 1:05.
    To make matters worse, where I work is right next to Jacob’s Field and I park in the same deck. At least twice a day, I stare at the pitcher’s mound and the empty stadium.[p]Soon … Very Soon …
    RhumAndJerk

• sprinter
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Not much on the BBall but it was hard not to get caught up in the Rams Mania that shook the area a couple of months ago. The Cardinals aint' bad either with McGwire Mania, makes it fun to watch the games. Overall, for the past couple of years, St. Louis has been a pretty good sports town. Old football Cardinals stunk too bad so we sent them to Phoenix. We go to a few games a year, I especially love the tailgaiting aspect of sports.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    sprinter, I love your attitude, but I don't think I'll plant just yet - of course, you are about 200 miles south of Peoria. More crocus here today as well. Good luck!

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    sprinter,[p]We had a nice weekend and I couln't resist working on a couple of beds - planted seeds in cups and as soon as I get the weeds out, in go the lettuce, spinach, onions, and broccoli. i just noticed the crocus are up here too. just love that digging in the dirt![p]Mary
  • sprinter
    Gfw,[p]I swear that theres a strange weather line that extends from St. Louis to Effingham then north east from there. All of the bad winter weather that hits STL goes along that path and we don't get it. During the summer many of the storms seem to follow this path also. Strange. Anyway, with the next week and a half predicted to be in the 60's here I figured that the most I could lose was a couple of packs of seeds. Last year I got the garden in a bit late and missed on the early spring stuff. Man I love fresh salads. I'll try and push some of this up your way. Our crocusses have been up for about a week now, have even seen some peonies poking through and the iris as well. Not long now and the yard will need to be mowed. Yech.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    sprinter,
    They came by and laid down the first layer of fertilizer on my yard yesterday. I think that I may actually have to change the oil in my lawn mower.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I was up to my elbows in grease on Monday getting the tiller ready to go. I changed the filter, cleaned and sharpened and lubed the blades and basically did an overhaul to it. Works great again. Sure was nice to get back into the yard again. We've had a real mellow winter here, except for a couple of weeks it's seemed all winter like spring was just around the corner. Now that it finally is, I'm gettin the itch to get out and do some stuff. I'm sure that feeling will go away soon too, first time I have to mow in 100 degree weather I'll be looking for autumn again.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    sprinter,
    I was outside over the weekend and noticed that the thyme was greening up. The Parsley also had some useable leaves on it. The garlic is still hiding, but not for long in this weather. I still have the Christmas tree over it. I may move some of the branches to some of the bulbs that coming up. Winter will rear its ugly head a couple of more times.
    RhumAndJerk[p]