Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower Vent Blow Out

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't drive and talk on a cell phone equally, don't talk on the phone and close off the top vent while the bottom vent is wide open! I know better than this, got distracted and WHOOSH!
I am glad my Egg has the screen in the bottom vent. It blocked the big stuff from flying out on my bare legs and feet. All I got was a hot puff of air and a wake-up call! So, for those of you who don't know close off the bottom vent first and those who do, but talk on the ohone while cooking... I hope this helps.
The doctor says my leg hair should grow back normally![p]Uncle Phil

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    You're right, Phil. Especially if you have a hot fire goin' on in there, you can even get flames out the bottom vent.

4-29-pizza4-web.jpg

Yowza!

TRex
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    I finally realized that we are dealing with a generation(s)of people who never experienced "pot bellie" stoves.[p]They don't know about drafts, stove pipes, shaker grates, etc.[p]For 9 months a year I light & burn an 1923 model stove from a train station. In my home state Pennsylvania, we used coal. I not have an abundance of wood so I burn wood each Sunday for 10 hours.[p]The temp was not rising to the normal 1000 degees today. So I inserted the poker in the shaker, grate extension. I could hear the draft increse in velocity as the burned ashes fell to the bottom. The fire & temp increased to the standard of 1000 degrees.[p]The BGE is no different except it doesn't have a shaker grate.[p]

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Is that the "reverse sear" they were talking about???