Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Potato Question

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I baked a couple of regular Idaho bakers along with some baby back ribs today. I've done dozens and dozens of bakers, sweets, and twice baked taters on my egg over the years and have never had anything like this.

The interior flesh of the potatoes was a tan/smoky color. I know this sounds strange. I've never seen anything like it. They didn't taste any different, the texture was great, they were not overdone or dried out, they just had an odd color. They were both double wrapped in foil.

They were on the egg at 250 indirect for about 2 hours total. I pulled them when they felt soft. If I were blindfolded I wouldn't have known there was a difference. Unfortunately they were the best part of dinner - I just couldn't get the ribs done (7 hours and I had to pull them to eat. Never had BB ribs go so long). They were edible, just not great.

If it was just one then I would understand and just figure it was a strange spud, but for both of them to have the same 'off' color made me wonder. Anyone ever have anything like this?

Comments

• BlueRidge
    Options
    I've not seen it. If you purchased the spuds in a bag it would be interesting to cut a couple open just to see if the baseline is like other potatos....or if there is a difference in color at the start.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I wish that was the case, they were loose in a bin and the only two I bought, so I have nothing to compare them against.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've had BBs go 7 hours before and can't explain it, as far as the spuds, why do you foil them? -RP
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    It's not possible that you got some "yukon golds" by mistake is it?
  • Fidel
    Options
    Well, I thought maybe they were golds, but these were not a yellow color like that - they were tan/brown. And the skin was typical baker.

I am stumped.
  • Fidel
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    as far as the spuds, why do you foil them? -RP

I normally foil them when cooking them at lower temps. No idea why, just something I've always done. I don't foil them at 350 or above.

Probably something I picked up from my dad or grandfather. We used to cook them in a hole in the ground when we were 'cueing. We would wrap the spuds in foil, toss them in the hole, cover them with hot coals, then cover with dirt. Then dig them up in a few hours.