Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Dwell Steaks?

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The past two times that I have made steaks I have not used a dwell. Instead, I have increased the amount of time that I sear at higher temperatures. The first steaks were filets and I think that this was the way to go. Last night, I cooked half-inch sirloin with Hickory Molasses Char Crust. I had the fire really kicking at 700. Normally, I would cook at three minutes per side with a three minute dwell but this time I went for five minutes the first side and four minutes after the flip. The steak came out good, but it was well done which suited my wife just fine. I think that next time I will go with less time if I do not dwell.[p]So here is the question, what are your thoughts on dwell versus no dwell for steaks?
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I am with you brother!! I use a thermo to check meat temps to be sure when they are done. No dwell is nice.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I agree. If I get a really good sear, and the steak is still squishy feeling, I will move it to the side and do a semi-dwell, with the top cap off. A lot of times, by the time I get a real good sear, it is already done to my liking, and no dwell needed. I have the touchy-feely thing down purty good now, which helps. Though I would not mind getting one of those Thermapens one day![p]Good steaks onya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • elFloyd
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]To dwell or not depends on the thickness of the steak. If a steak is only 1/2" thick searing is enough. But, if we are talking over 1", then charing may occur if you sear for 3 minutes at 700-750. [p]

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]When you take a steak off a grill, it is still cooking, so you don't have to dwell it. I think I'll try no dwell next time I do steak.

• char buddy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]When I do skinny steaks - .5" - I don't dwell.[p]When I do fat steaks - 1.5" - I dwell three or four minutes after a three or four minute hit per side. Before I start a dwell I check the temp then decide how long to dwell.[p]CB
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I'm cooking steaks tonight...I will try them your way and let you know how they turn out...We spent the weekend in Hilton Head and piged out on seafood...It's time for some red meat.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The Thermapen works great on steaks and pork chops...It takes the guess work out of high temp grilling.
    Larry

[ul][li]Thermapen[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have never used a dwell on a steak, or anything else for that matter. But then I like my meat rarer than most. My standard for a 1" steak is 2:45 a side at searing temps. I'll go up 15 seconds a side for each additional 1/4 inch thickness.
    JimW

• Citizen Q
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    It really all depends on the cut, the thickness and the desired degree of doneness, but you have to be careful going much longer than 3 minutes per side at too high of a temp or you'll get alot of that carcinogenic charring.[p] When I cut up a whole sirlin strip, I usually do mostly 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" steaks that get the 3-3-4 @ 750 treatment for med to medium well for the wife and mine closer to the side for medium rare, but the tips and the 3/4" sammich steaks go a little under 3 minutes per side, no dwell. On porterhouse I go an extra 20 seconds on the sear and cut the dwell in half while filets get a cooler temp of about 600 for around 3.5 minutes per side, no dwell, to keep the charring to a minimum and the flavor to a maximum on those puppies.[p]It's all personal preference and what works for the guy at the grill, but on thicker cuts the dwell is needed for more well done steaks without major charring. I misread my watch one recent night and let a porterhouse go almost 4.5 minutes at 750. It was ugly, but a little scraping and a few squirts of Lea & Perrins took away most of the curse.[p]Good Q to Ya,
    C~Q

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    YB,
    Hay Larry. How t he heck are you. Try my method. Take two 1 1/2 inch steaks out of the freezer and put them over mesquite at as low as you can get for about 1/2 hour or untill ther are thawed. Take them off and crank up the egg. While the temp is rising put the seasoning on. Three to four minutes a side and you have a perfectly smoked and cooked piece of cow. GRRR...ATE STEAK!

• RhumAndJerk,
    I have never used a dwell when cooking steak.
    I have the butcher cut what ever is on sell that week,usually ribeye,strip,or top sirloin, 2 inches thick.
    Get my egg to around 650-700 degrees.
    Rub the steak with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic.
    Cook the 2 inch thick steaks 7 minutes on each side, remove from egg and wrap in foil and let stand for about 10 minutes.
    This has always produced a medium-rare steak with a nice crust.
    EXCELLENT!![p]GaryJ

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I concurr..I very rarely dwell..however I tend to do steaks more in the 600° range..I like to rotate 1/2 turn on each side 1/2 way thru the sear to get the nice grill marks but usually depending on thickness go 3 - 5 minutes per side and then rest for a few minutes..Sally likes rare and I lean towards well so it`s a compromise..but as most men will say they are more to her liking then mine...but I can either leave one on a little longer or let it rest a little longer, but I am also learning to appreciate a steak cooked medium..BTW...cooking on the small gives a better sear at a lower temp than the large produces at the same temp due to the proximity to the coals...FWIW..[p]Wess

• YB
    Options
    MAC,
    That sounds great...I will give it a try on the next steaks.
    Larry

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I don't understand why some folks are in such a hurry when cooking steaks. 750º on a steak gives an over cooked exterior and a raw interior unless you dwell which is something I don't believe in. Resting is a must but no dwell. Take your time and enjoy the cook. Dump it down to 500º. Flip accordingly. (some swear only one flip but that's up to you) Once it feels cooked to your doneness, pull it off, let it rest under loose foil for 5 min. and chow. Some like to use therm's to check for doneness. I think that's a good way for those pent up juices to spew out. But like I say, to each his own, except when it conflicts with my opinion. :)