Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Test photo of bread

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK here goes with the test photo,

IMG_3267.jpg

This is some bread I did using a modification of the almost no-knead approach from Cook's Illustrated. I modified the method slightly to increase hydration, use a sourdough starter and make somewhat larger loaves. The one on the right was done in a twelve quart dutch oven. The one on the right was done in a clay bread maker pot.
But this is just a photo test.
Dave

Comments

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Great job.
    I am glad I can't make bread. I am overweight already and that just looks too good :woohoo:

Good picture!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Dave,

Pics look good, but tell me more about your modification and the end results. I tried the no-knead for the first time about a week ago and loved it:

noknead_bread_6_web.jpg

Would love to hear more about what you did.

Thanks,

TRex
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Options
    I love sour dough, had a starter for years.
    Sure would like to try a piece of yours.
    Cut a slice butter it up and let us know how it taste.
  • CampCook
    Options
    Trex
    I started with the Cook's Illustrated approach which introduces a small amount of kneading during shaping. They also add some beer and vinegar. I found later that I could replace the beer and with water and drop the vinegar when using sourdough. I also use some yeast to speed the action of the sourdough. If you were to refrigerate the dough for a few days I think you could drop the yeast. At any rate here is the recipe I used.

High Gluten Bread Flour 6 cups (850 grams)
    Instant Dry Yeast 1/3 teaspoon (1 gram)
    Table Salt 2 teaspoons (8 grams)
    Water, Room temp 2 & 1/2 cups (655 grams)
    Sourdough starter 2 tablespoons (20 grams)
    The sourdough should be refreshed and active

Mix dry stuff, add liquids and mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let set at room temp for 8 to 18 hours. If longer, refrigerate after a couple of hours and let come back to room temp before proceeding.
    Transfer dough to lightly flowered surface and knead for 10 to 15 times. then fold and form into ball. Place ball seams down on oiled parchment in a fry pan. Let rise until doubled in size -- about 2 hours
    Preheat oven or BGE and dutch oven to 500 degrees
    Score top of loaf, dust with flour and transfer to hot dutch oven (covered) and then into BGE.
    Reduce temp to 450 degrees. After 30 minutes remove top from dutch oven and continue to "bake" until internal temp hits 200 to 210 degrees -- that takes 20 to 30 minutes more.
    Remove from dutch oven and let cool. Enjoy

Oh, and here is another picture
    Crumbs.jpg

Dave
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    OK, I like that method and I want to give it a rip. I have resolved to become a better baker this year, and this looks like a good place to start.

This may be a silly question, but where would one come up with sour dough starter? Is this something one can just pick up off the shelf somewhere?

Any help appreciated.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Thanks Dave. I so want to try it with sourdough. Also, I can see where the kneading gave you a finer air bubble structure, closer to normal loaf bread.

I love learning about bread - so interesting.

Thanks again,

TRex
  • CampCook
    Options
    I bought a sourdough starter from a kitchen supply store and just keep feeding it. It stays in a quart plastic container in the fridge except when I am going to make bread it comes out the day before. When refreshing, I always discard (or use) 1/3 to 1/2 cup and replace it with equal weight flour and water. I have one batch I feed with rye flour and just started another from the first which is being fed with whole wheat to achieve a different flavor.

BTW, the guy that wrote "5 minutes to Artisan Bread" claims you can just age your regular dough in the fridge for 4 or 5 days to get a similar taste.
    Dave
  • CampCook
    Options
    TREX, Funny you noted the tighter crumb structure. Actually, I am trying to get closer to yours. The picture shown is an earlier loaf done precisely as Cook's Illustrated suggested. It is why I increased the hydration to around 77 % for the loaves in the first post. The oven spring was better and I got some pigeon egg sized holes..

I am exploring this bread thing as well. However, being diabetic, I give most of it away -- just love the experimentation. But, who can resist a slice of this with a big pat of soft butter.
    Dave
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Bread looks fantastic. Could you enlighten me on the almost no-knead method as I don't have a Cooks Illustrated cookbook(I presume that is what you were refering to)

Thanks
    Eric
  • CampCook
    Options
    Actually,Cooks Illustrated is a magazine put out by Christopher Kimbal's "America's Test Kitchen". The current issue on news stands is February 2008. Starting on page 18 there is an article that analyses why no-knead bread recipes work and then attempts to improve on them. It is a great article for anyone interested in experimenting with bread. The procedure I described above sort of captures their result.
    Hope you find it.
    Dave
  • eatbbq
    Options
    Thanks, I will look for it, but I am in Canada so not sure it is available in our area. Will also check on line, sometimes magazines are available to download.
  • eatbbq
    Options
    Final thank you. I found their website and for a small fee there is access to all their recipes, videos on procedures, etc., etc., an excellent resource....almost as good as the Egghead forum, but not quite, and not nearly so much fun.