Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediocre Rib-Eyes (I thought terrible...guests raved)...ideas?

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Goodmorning![p]I hope all are well today. Last night I T-Rex'd a couple of over-priced rib-eyes with high hopes of "wow-ing" my dad-in-law. I thought the meat was tough and felt overdone in my mouth but the color looked medium rare. The meat wasn't as juicy either.[p]Both steaks were both a tid-bit under 2" thick (I asked for 1.5 to 1.75)...Grill was pegged at 750, did 90 second sear to each side and pulled for the 20 minute rest. When the meat came off I put on a bunch of russets and brought the temp down to 400...meat went back on. 4 minutes and turn...4 more minutes and Poulder reads 117.... I continued dwell to 130 and pulled.[p]This is really what I am curious about. Once the meat was pulled, I placed the planked salmon for my wife and mom-in-law on the grill. The beef was tented and allowed to rest while I waited for the fish. It took about 20 to 25 minutes. I am left with the feeling that this rest ruined my meat. I want to know if you all think that the steaks need to be eaten SHORTLY after being pulled or am I just full of it. My wife mentioned the possibility of low quality beef....[p]What do you all think? My biggest challenge so far with grilling is the timing of meals....I think I may need another egg!

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    What a coincidence! I did Rib-Eyes last night using the EddieMac routine and they came out great!!....Why?...Well...as you probably learned last night...Gotta start with a great steak...to have a great steak!!....Overpriced doesn't mean great...Every once in a while you get a batch of clankers...It happens!!....Sounds like you had everything going great...maybe the steaks just weren't that good....It happens.....don't beat yourself and the guests were happy...That's all that really matters...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• BlueRidge
    Options
    B) Thanks Ed.

So you think a 20 minute rest after the final cook is ok....all things being equal? I want to blame the meat!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Was that 20 minute rest after the cook done under foil? If so, that may have contributed to the meat being overdone, because it would have continued to cook. Overdone meat can be tough, but so can bad meat that is cooked perfectly.

Also, did you bring the meat up to room temp before searing?

Bad meat happens. Next time I hope it goes better for ya.

Cheers,

TRex
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I never let my steaks rest, unless it is time needed to prepare a sauce or a steak that I am going to slice before serving. A little juice on the plate never hurt anything. :)

Not sure why you did not cook the salmon while finishing the steaks.
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    Yea, under foil.

My guess is it was a combination of both poor quality and over-cooking.

I am beginning to understand why so many have multiple eggs! Would sure make the timing of a meal easier!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]Again eddie posts my thoughts. What grade were those ribeyes?[p]Sometimes the steaks aren't that good to begin with. I think you cooked them right - and a good rest under foil does nothing to harm the steaks. I usually like to rest mine 10-15 anyway. A few more minutes shouldn't hurt anything.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BlueRidge,
    the rest won't ruin the meat, unless temps rise pasat your desired doneness. i don't like to rest too long simply because the meat can cool, but mostly because i just want to EAT.[p]my bet is you had select ribeyes, not choice or better.[p]rib eye is know more for flavor than tenderness. if you had a 2" thick select, you might be chewing more than you'd want to be,

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    Thanks for the posts Fidel and Stike,

I normaly get my beef/pork from Sams Club and their meat is choice. But they changed things around and won't cut beef for me anymore...you have to look through the packages for what you want and buy a ton of it too. I hope they revert back to the way they did it before....what a great service...

So I bought from a "fancy" grocery store with a good looking meat counter...only had one option for the beef and assumed choice...considering the 13.99 a pound price tag...but based on the feel of the meat I bet you are right and it was a select...

Live and learn.
  • Eddie Mac,what is the EddieMac routine? Thanks!