Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day ahead treatment for Butt?

Options
rxdawg
rxdawg Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any advantage to brining/injecting/coating with rub a day or less prior to starting it on the egg?

If yes, which of the methods have been most successful for you?

I've never tried anything except coating in rub just before egging...

Comments

• Robbq
    Robbq Posts: 11
    Options
    I always coat with yellow mustard and a homemade rub and refrigerate about 8 hours before, but have never brined or injected. I also don't know how much of a difference it makes in the end, maybe I'll have to make that my next experiment
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I used a basic rub of brown sugar/pepricka/ginger/red peppers on my last one. Zipplocked it over night. Was going to inject it with a sulution on coke and brown sugar. Did not get to injecting as was midnight when I got it on but have shot pork up befor with this and turned out good.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    The benefit is allowing time for the flavor to penetrate deeper than just the surface of the meat.

I subscribe to the brining camp for my pulled pork and like to give it 12 to 24 hours in the brine.

Then apply the dry rub and injection marinade for another 24 hours before begining the smoke process.

Many people do it differently and have great results so experiment and find out what you like best.

At a minimum I would do a dry rub the day or night before smoking. Then go from there and add or change something the next time.

Another great way is to two or three different butts/techniques at the same time for a side by side comparison.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    If your rub has any salt in it, then I wouldn't put it on more than an hour ahead. Otherwise the salt will draw out the moisture making your final product dry.