Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control for direct ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying JJ's direct ribs for my third cook and am having quite a difficult time keeping the temp to 220. I have shut everything down and it still wants to creep up to about 280. It's pretty windy outside, too. I know I can't keep it shut down too long, and I am just 45 minutes into the 3.5 hour cook. Any suggestions? And if I can't get the temp to stabilize at 220, how long should I cook them at 270/280. Thanks!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    vent1.jpg
    <p />Stephen,[p]If there is a stiff wind blowing in the lower vent - it will act like a hairdryer blowing in it and you will have a hard time doing low and slow cooking. I had a 15-20 kt wind on mine once and I did 700 deg steaks with a tiny cracked open lower vent.[p]You must have a little crack in the lower vent or the fire will go out - in time - but it could be hours before you realize it. The slide daisy top fully closed leaks enough to keep a fire going as long as the lower vent is cracked a little. The picture shows how small I mean, but if you have a lot of wind, it will make things different. Set for the lowest temp and let it cook and it should go lower in time. Ceramic doesn't like to give up heat though.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks. Going to give it a try. The dealer told me he sometimes leeps the lower vent closed and uses the daisy for flow. Sounds like that may not be right. It did seem counterintuitive to me. [p]I wa able to get the temp to 230 with it shut down, but when I cracked the bottom open again, it shot back up to 250. Hey, we will chalk it up to a learning experience. I just hope they will not be overdone.[p]I appreciate your help.[p]Stephen

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Stephen,
    If you can, you might also try turning the Egg 90° from the way it's currently facing. That should help minimize the wind blowing in the vent. For what it's worth, I'm having the same trouble here and for the same reason (20-30MPH wind with gusts up to 40, but hey, it's 70° in February although the bill comes due tomorrow according to the NWS). If my bottom vent was closed anymore it'd be completely shut, like my daisy wheel top.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Stephen,
    250* will work OK too. Just check for tenderness 1/2 hr earlier.

• Kelly Keefe,[p]Thanks for the post. I did that and it seems to be helping. I am in Memphis, and we have pretty much the same weather here. Warm and windy. Thank goodness there are no storms with a cold fron on the horizon. We would be in trouble. We used to live in KC and know you guys have the same risks.[p]Stephen
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Stephen,[p]Hee, hee, hee. I used to live in Nashville and I KNOW what happens when ya'll get weather - grin! Everybody stops at the bottom of the hill and wonders "Can I get up that?" Maybe. IF you hadn't stopped![p]NWS forcasting sleet and snow here tomorrow afternoon. Well, I haven't gotten to play with my snow thrower yet this winter.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Kelly Keefe,[p]Good Luck!! We must be getting a similar front. Just saw a weather report and they are saying snow on Thurs/Fri. I'm headed to San Diego tomorrow and Florida on Thursday. What a bargain!![p]You been cooking on the BGE long? This is is just my third cook. My wife is sold, unlike Friday when I made the buy.[p]Stephen
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Stephen,[p]Take me with you! Grin. I spent most of my life trying to get away from Missouri winters and where do I wind up? Back home in Jefferson City....[p]I've been Egging about 11 months now. My wife wasn't skeptical. Her attitude was "If it'll stop you from whining since you can't cook out in winter it'd be worth any price." For me, the meals were a bonus. [p]Last night was pulled pork. I ate myself silly, but that's a short trip.....[p]Kelly
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Stephen,[p]I too have been able to maintain a fire with the bottom vent completely closed and only the top daisy providing any fresh air. Seems to me I've done this once or twice, when it's really hot outside to achieve a reasonably low dome temp.[p]--sdb