Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need jerky tips!

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
allright i need all the help i can get as i am going to TRY and make some jerky need temps times marinades etc!!! i need it all as this will be a first! thank you

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    vegas slim,[p]I believe we can consider Gordon a jerky expert. Check his site out and I think you will find the answers you seek.[p]Great day here in Atlanta. Sunny and around 55*. Gets even better tomorrow. Happy cooking.[p][p]
    [ul][li]gfw's site[/ul]
  • Vegas Slim
    Options
    Bob,thanks! used to live near douglasville so i know the weather must be a treat today! enjoy it

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    vegas slim,[p]I been making jerky for over 20 years and have put all my tips and thoughts onto a web page. It has many recipes, including my base recipe.[p]I just made up a 5 pound batch of a new Cherry Bomb recipe I have been working on. Below is the recipe I have been using lately.[p]I strongly suggest one thing....EXPERIMENT! Make a whole bunch of 1 pound batches until you hit something you like. You will lose 67% of your meat-weight, so it makes it just right for experimenting. Of course, keep very meticulous notes...I have dozens of pages of them from over the years.[p]The link is below.[p]bbqflames.gif[p]___________________________________________________________[p]Kevi's Jerky [p]5 pound(s) Jerky meat
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Kosher (coarse) salt
    1/2 cup Honey
    1/4 cup A1 Steak Sauce
    1 tablespoon Garlic powder
    2 tablespoon(s) Beef rub
    1 teaspoon Habanero, powder
    1 tablespoon Tender Quick
    4 - 5 cup(s) Water[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients except jerky meat and water.
    Add 3 cups water.
    Add jerky meat to mixture.
    Add enough water to cover meat.
    Marinate for 2-3 days.

[ul][li]Stogie's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    vegas slim, I cook a lot of beef jerky and use the basic River City Beef jerky recipe found on this site. I add a little extra hot pepper but that is about it. I use a small handfull of Jack Daniels chips for flavor. I keep temp between 150 and 200, cook over a place setter for about 8-10 hours rotating meat every hour. Good luck.[p]CWM

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    vegas slim, try this one if you like, it is the one that goes over like free money at work when I do a batch up.[p]If you can and are willing, you might want to 'hang' your meat , it seems to cook even and there is no real need to open the lid to check while trying to maintain low 'drying' temps.
    Its not hard to maintain those 'drying' temps but it can be if you open the lid to often allowing the cooker to take a 'gasp' of air....just another option for you to try...plus the jerky LOOKS more like traditional jerky when hung....[p]Mop[p]

[ul][li]Great Barbecue Site[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    sta_0209.jpg
    <p />Bob, thanks for the nice comments - just means that I have probably played a little than most. Temp in Atlanta sounds a little low - just got back from a week in St. Martins - no BBQ, but lots of great food, sand and sun!

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Now that's what I call rubbing it in for sure. What a great picture and I look forward to sending you the same after tax season :~)[p]Glad you had a great time and welcome back to cooking...I think :~)