Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Long Rant On The New Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Yeah I get it, always have. Would you care for some genuine constructive input at this point?
    How about you give some thought to shutting this .net side down until it is ready to handle it's function as the official forum. Take your time to work out the bugs and issues and maybe grant access to a select few forum techies to help you with the testing process.
    Meanwhile the rest of us can continue to use the old .com board and to keep you undistracted by goings on over there, maybe you should grant moderator status to 2 or 3 trusted and proven forum regulars such as Spring Chicken, Mad Max, Woodoggies, Nature Boy or the like. Pretty much anybody who would volunteer other than myself, Stike or WessB would probably fit the bill well. These moderators would have the ability to delete SPAM and other innapropriate content, archive old posts to keep the forum at top performance, confer with each other to compile a single daily report for any isssues that require your direct attention and any other functions you would see fit.
    Just a suggfestion, but I think a reasonable one that would freee up alot of your time that is pretty much wasted addressing each and every individual login issue and complaint under the current situation.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    No, you're still not quite getting it.

Some of these suggestions might be good ideas; however, the type of "moderators" you suggest are available *only* on the new forum.

There is no such thing as a moderator on the old forum; and, it would be quite a bit of work to introduce the concept to that antiquated software.

That is but one of the many reasons the "unofficial" decision was made to move forward with getting the new forum fully online; and, w/out people trying to use it, not just two or thre, there is no way to identify the various issues and fix them.

In terms more "down your alley", it's a bit like trying move an outhouse indoors and convert it to a modern bathroom. There really is no point -- starting over makes much more sense.

And, perhaps that is what we should do. Trash the old forum, and this customized, but out-of-date, version of simpleboard, and install a "blank" copy of one of the more modern forums. No imported archives, no "classic" view, no anything anyone here is used to.

But back in 2005, we found that many, even most, of our members then, liked the *format* of the existing forum; so, we tried, obviously with little success, spending many, many hours of our own time to provide a custom environment that would satisfy everyone. You've certainly made it abundantly clear that is an impossible, thankless task.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Mtn Egger,

You're welcome. It's nice to see that somebody "gets it".
    Not everyone does :(
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    WMK, don't let one or two miscreants get under your skin. I and most of the people on the forum truly appreciate all of your hardwork and dedication keeping the old forum working and the monster load of trying to get the new forum up to speed, all on your own time. I'd like to do more but for now
    A BIG THANK YOU

Ed
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Hey Great idea...

Why don't you go on back over to .com. We'll all be over there in a minute. see ya.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    Options
    Citizen Q,

1st - The tone of your "constructive criticism' seems light on the constructive.

2nd - No one is forcing you to use the .net site. The .com site is still there for you. If you choose to use the .net test site then accept it as is.

WMK,

Thank you for the time and energy you are putting into this.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    WMK,
    Thanks. I think the paypal idea is a good one. After all, this site is mostly entertaining. I normally pay for entertainment and I am entertained. I would gladly offer a donation. Maybe we should just split the money we save on eating out with you. Your kids could retire then and move back home. :lol: I haven't seen any of the computer experts offering you help and I am sure there are some on this forum, sure seems to be anyway.
    I am not the Broke Back Cowboy type of cowboy but here's one anyway ;) Keep up the great work.

Willy, who Luvs to shoot clay
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

maybe you should go and get together with lost in utah and start your own BGE forum although you may run into a few legal problems... maybe just a ceramic grill forum and see how many people you piss off with all your hard work and dedication..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    FWIW, the forum does seem to be working fine for me, though I haven't tried to post a pic just yet. Once I figured out that using the Login at the top right, things have been smooth as glass. Thanks, WMK.

As far as the persistent login goes, can't you put a cookie on the hard drive of those that check the "Remember Me" box so they will be, well, remembered when they come back? Of course, you can still keep the inactivity timer to add/subtract names from the "Online" roll.

Just my $0.02.

PS: My family loves that I've started coming here...I'm Egging a lot more than I used to, and to much higher praise. Thanks to again to WMK for slaving away at the geek side and TRex, CWM, WessB, RTD, TNW and everyone else that has inspired me.