Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to re-word...How do you cook burgers?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't cooked burgers on the grill and need some advice from all of you pros![p]Celia

Comments

• elFloyd
    Options
    Crob,[p]I'm about to put some on myself in a few minutes. I've made patties about 4 oz each, and 3/4" thick. Rubbed them with Char Crust about an hour ago. I plan on doing the 1/1/3 method like you would do a steak.[p]Get a roaring infernal going in the GBE at 700-750. Put the burgers on. After one minute, flip. One more minute then flip again. At this time close the top and bottom vent and time it for 3 minutes for medium doneness. Then open the top and bottom vent again. Wait about 30 seconds before you open the dome to prevent flashback.[p]Let us know how they come out.

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Crob,
    The 1-1-3 is certainly a way to go, but I prefer to smoke the God out of a good quality ground chuck. I coat liberally with rub and black ground pepper, add a large handful of Lil Devil hickory pellets (I find these very handy), and cook at 200-230F for an hour, turning from time to time to arrive at an even cook. This is per Smoke and Spice, which points out correctly that smoking makes ground meat taste like tenderloin. With the BGE and low T's, these burgers will not be dry even after an hour.

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    Crob,[p]A nice twist is to mix about 1/4 pound of Blue Cheese to 3 pounds of hamburger, mix in a generous dash or 2 of hot sauce, 1 teaspoon of of Worcesterire sauce, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 1/12 teaspoon of Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of Dry Mustard, 1 packet of French Onion Soup Mix, and mix it all up by hand. Refridgerate for about 2 hours, then make patties. I cook them for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees, flip 'em and cook for about another 10 minutes. You will have to cook a couple of batches to cook them to your liking! By the way the Blue Cheese is not overwelming, it just adds a lot of flavor, you and your friends should love them![p]Let me know how you like them!
    David

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    Crob,[p]I made a goof, for the Blue Cheese Burgers, I typed 1 1/12 teaspoon Kosher Salt, S/B 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt, sorry.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I'll have to give the method you described a shot ... probably when Mrs. Puj and the kids are not around. None of them care much for a smokey taste. :)[p]Thanks,
    Puj

• Buckiquer
    Options
    Crob,
    I put a teaspoonful of roast garlic butter in the center of each burger and coat with sea salt and char crust. I cook like a well done steak. The butter keeps them real moist.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    Do use this method direct or indirect.
    Thanks,
    B D

• David,[p]Hey, those sound great! Will have to try them.
    Celia

• elFloyd,[p]Thanks, they turned out great. Will have to try the CharBroil next time. What flavor do you use?[p]Celia[p]
  • Big Daddy,
    direct; but watch for hot spots and turn a few times. They turn out a nice reddish-mahogany color.

• elFloyd
    Options
    Crob,[p]They are all good. Last night I used the Roasted Garlic Peppercorn.