Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Steak - Second Cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked the butterfly chicken recipe at 320 (unbelievable) and then let the EGG heat up full bore and did ribeyes with the 3/3/3. The ribeyes were a bit tough. Is the EGG too hot after doing a chicken, or should steaks be done at a lesser time? I like them med. rare to rare.

Comments

• elFloyd
    Options
    Stephen,[p]Good to see you getting your feet wet! For the steaks, try 1/1/3... You probably cooked a bit long. (By full bore I assume 700-750.)[p]

• elFloyd,[p]Yea, it was about 750. I guess it was too hot, but I'll tell you what...not bad for a first go!
  • elFloyd
    Options
    Stephen,[p]Not too hot... three minutes per side is too long. Give it one minute per side at 700-750 to sear the steaks, then let it dwell with the vents closed to finish the cook. Lengthen the dwell time for medium well. Shorten the dwell if the steaks are less thn 3/4". How was the smoke flavor this time?

• elFloyd,
    I used one chunk of hickory, but I had some cherry left from the chicken cook. Kind of strong, but OK. Maybe I should have let the cherry do the work without putting on hickory. Just thought hickory would be better for steaks. We are still learning our tolerance for smoke.[p]The middle of the steak was still one of the best I ever had, but the rest was too done. I think your recommendation of cooking time will do it.[p]Thanks for your help!

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Stephen,
    I do NY Strip Steaks and Filets all the time.
    They are usually about 1" thick or a hair less.
    We like them rare to mediun rare (red but warm).
    I cook them 3/3/? with the 3/3 at about 700-750.
    After the 3/3, I check them with an instant read and pull them when they are at 130-135 degrees. Sometimes they require a 2-3 minute dwell (vent and dome closed) and other times only a minute or less.
    Though I ought to mention, the above is on my large. On the small they get done a little quicker. The grill on the small is closer to the lump.
    B D