Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Long Rant On The New Forum

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not generally known as a patient man, but I've been tracking this new forum for that past 2 weeks and I've given the full 2 weeks to form the opinion expressed in my subject line.
Where do I start? How about right here, in writing this post I had to tab 17 times to move the cursor from the subject box to the message box. I know I could just point and click, but the point is that I am WRITING a message, why should I have to remove my fingers from the keyboard to manuever the mouse while I am WRITING?
My optometrist tells me I am at least 25 years away from prescription lenses, but I have one hell of a time reading the incredibly tiny print littering the completely unneccessary extraneous BS cluttering this "Post A New Message" section. What is a "topio loon", or a "boardooda"? I'm not even gonna try to missinterpret whats printed next to the 2 pull down boxes on the boardooda line. And what the hell is that word printed just above the emoticons to the left? What the hell do we even need emoticons for? :kiss: I am 20/17 in both eyes and I can barely read my own profile page, that's a little bit ridiculous.
Then there is a thread from yesterday that I am interested in, why do I have to scroll through 3 pages to find it? It's less than 14 hours old, yet it is buried on page 3 in "Classic" view. Maybe I'll try and switch to "Flat" view where only the post headings are listed, surely this view will accomodate the last 14 hours worth of headings on page one, right? Nope, it's on page 11, WTF? I guess it's fine for those that spend most of their waking moments checking the Forum, but what about real people? How are we supposed to keep track?
And why are most of the threads titled "PING: WMK"? Aren't just about every one of you experiencing the same damn problem? Couldn't you just click on one of the 750 consecutive previous posts titled "PING: WMK" before you start a new thread titled "PING: WMK"? It's obvious that you know your way around a little bit, or else how would you even know who WMK was to begin with? Don't panic, drop him an e-mail with your problem, that way he can more easily reply to you with a standard response, leaving him more time to work out the bugs and address my complaints.
Take your pick: B);):) :laugh: :ohmy: :sick::angry: :blink: :P :( :unsure: :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :pinch: :side: :whistle: :evil: :S :blush: :cheer: :ermm: :huh:

Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    AMEN!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Here! Here! While I am new to this forum as a member, I am not new to it in terms of being an egghead and using these forums. I belong as most of you do to many forums of different and special interests out there on the net. There are plenty of good models to go by. Some of this is simply ridiculous! I hope this makes sense because I do NOT have 20/17 vision and am only guessing that I am typing it right since I can only barely read this font as I type!
  • Katodude00
    Options
    Although I agree with most of the points in your post (I like emoticons), a little patience is required. This forum is still very new and getting the kinks worked out. Right now I suspect all the time and energy is being devoted to performance and getting people registered. After which there should be time for tweaking the actual user interface. I would suggest that a sticky thread be posted where we could post our issues and wishlists etc. That way it is all centered in one big long thread that the owner of the forum can look at when they have time and make the appropriate adjustments.

That being said let me add one wish item. I really wish that a thread would get bumped back to the top when a new item gets posted. I think it would cut down on the number of individual posts and make tracking an important thread much easier.
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    The font size can be adjusted. Other than that I agree with most of what you're saying. One reason the "real" posts are so far back is all the forum problem posts. If people would actually look around they'd notice there is a separate forum for problems. This would alleviate some of the problems.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Still beats Lost in Utah's schtick...
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I want to AMEN Molly's AMEN.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Adjusting the font size only applies to the size of the type within the posts, not the extraneous BS or the profiles.
    And what is the point of having a "Remember Me" button in the login box that don't remember nothin?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    perhaps you already know this, but until they get around to changing the small fonts in the profiles, you can quickly magnify them by using +. It's not a fix, cause you have to take them back with -, once you've read it. I have to hit + more than a couple of times. The ol' eyes are failing pretty bad.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    woops...

that's ctrl + and ctrl -
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Nothing "new" about the New Forum, it's just recently been brought out of mothballs, I've been registered on here for for well over 2 1/2 years. Nothing new about any of the points I've brought up either, which is why this side has sat here unused and unimproved for that entire period.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    I can actually do that by clicking the box in the lower right hand corner of my browser or the track wheel on my mouse, but when I enlarge the screen I also have the added inconvenience of having to scroll horizontally as well as vertically in order to navigate the page.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Well, I suppose it is nice to be appreciated.

Perhaps I need a day off -- wait this is my day off, just like yesterday -- NOT.

Where should I start? How about -- TAKE A CHILL PILL! This tone of feedback sounds as if it comes from a customer that just payed $1K, or more, for a program that doesn't work -- perhaps I missed your check in the mail?

The font size issues will be addressed.

Tab order can also be addressed.

Smiley icons and such can be removed if the consensus is that they are not desired.

All modern forums page their output, and none, but this one, have "classic" view. And most don't have NEARLY so many posts to manage EVERY DAY -- "Ping WMK" posts notwithstanding. They are simply not designed to manage 500+ posts per day in the same category.

We value *constructive* input, but this type of "rant" is not necessary. I don't appreciate it in the least.

CHILL OUT
  • WMK
    Options
    Citizen Q,

I forgot -- you're welcome -- I know which one to use: :angry:.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    I am truly sorry if you've taken any of my post to be personally insulting to you, that is not my intent.
    But the fact remains, this side of the forum has been active since early spring of 2005. Many of these issues were presented then and none have been addressed since. With the growing number of people posting here since the recent unintended and unnofficial switchover from the old forum, many of those issues have been amplified greatly.

You may not see my constructive criticism as constructive at all, but if you can see your way clear to read what I've said without taking it personally, you have yourself a roadmap for making this entire forum a more pleasurable experience for all involved, yourself included if not more so.

Cheers,
    Sean (Insert straightfaced emoticon here)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words... It's so nice to be appeciated after working so hard on weekends and after-hours... Nothing helps build the morale of a hard-working team of software developers more than kind words such as yours. Your encouragment and gracious feedback has inspired me beyond measure.

Thank you so much for your support!
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i, for one, appreciate your efforts and there are many that do. take a couple days off. we will wait. the new forum works fine enough for me as it is. you can't please all the people all the time and some people will never be pleased no matter what you do. negativity breeds negativity. trust me, i know as i am usually a bitter, negative person. i use the big green egg and the associated forum as a relaxation tool.... and it works most of the time, except when i read negative and harassing posts. perhaps those that are not happy with the way the new forum operates would consider donating their expertise and time to help, rather and criticize.

once again, wmk, thanks for all you do. and i like the smileys. they are fun! :woohoo:

and cq... there is no reason to respond to my post. just please try to be a little more positive about things. it's really better for your health. thanks.
  • WMK
    Options
    Not insulting -- just not constructive. Constructive input is not entitled "rant".

Insulting is working for about $2/hour for this kind "appreciation" -- that's insulting.

I guess you've no clue as to the number of hours (no wait months) already spent on the forum as it is; or, how difficult it has become to manage the volume we have these days using the old software.

And probably not how little we get for our time and efforts either -- not nearly enough even to do what is required, much less deal with the "complaints department".

"We don't want passwords" -- so there is a "I don't want to use a password" option in the profile.

"Can threads be ordered by latest post?" -- now they can, another option in your profiles.

"We don't like threaded and flat forums, we like the 'classic' look" -- you have it.

"It doesn't work on my Mac" -- it does now, because I bought a Mac with my own money so I could test it.

This list goes on....

Sure there's plenty left to do.

But first things first: I think I'll add that Paypal button as some have suggested (those that do appreciate our efforts). We'll make it a requirement for posting complaints.

still :angry:
  • WMK
    Options
  • WMK
    Options
    Good point BigT,

Perhaps our ranting Citizens (at least we know who they are) would perfer to invite the "trolls" back.
  • WMK
    Options
    Yup -- we definitely need a "collection plate" (pronounced "PayPal").
    AMEN brother.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Rick,

Thanks... it is often the strategically placed occasional kind word that keeps a man going.
  • WMK
    Options
    Are you volunteering your time to improve the software, or just to complain about it?
    :angry:
  • WMK
    Options
    This garbage is a quintessential example of "extraneous BS"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're right... I don't see what you euphemistically refer to as "constructive criticism" as constructive at all.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Thanks WMK; I like others have minor problems (cannot edit my profile and other things) but can still switch to classic view & increase font size manually. I use a Mac but am not computer savy and can only imagine how much you & crew have worked to fix all the bugs. I'll be glad when all the posts go back to cooking & egg tips. I'm sure the bugs will get worked out as soon as it is possible for you to do so.
    Thanks for all the hard work.
    Pat
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    I know nothing about software, but if I did, I would certainly offer my assistance. You need a physical structure built for the forum? Pipes plumbed or electrical circuits run? Glad to help. Or maybe you just need someone to supervise you in your work. You know, just to keep an eye on you, make sure you are sticking to your work and not wasting time responding to every "extraneous BS" post on this forum? :whistle:
  • WMK
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Wrong answer :angry:.
  • WMK
    Options
    And one more thing,

I have a "supervisor" for my "work" -- this isn't it! Do you get it yet?
    still :angry:
  • mtn egger
    Options
    Amen

Thanks for all you are doing.