Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help

Options
Katodude00
Katodude00 Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started a brisket this morning at 5:30. I had the temperature stabilized at 275 before I put it on set the stoker and went back to bed. Well the egg shot up to 400 degrees and I did not hear the alarm. The graph shows that it was between 350 to 400 for about 2 hours. I have it back down to 175. My temperature at the point is 150 and at the flat 175. I fear that I may have shot threw the plateau. Is there anyway to save this cook or will I have a dry tough brisket?

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If it comes out tough, then chop it for brisket sandwiches....might give it a little more time in the cooler to see if that mellows the flat some....

I just put a 6 pount flat on. I cook at 235 grid temp, takes about 10 +/- hours to cook....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Katodude00
    Options
    Looks like I have gotten the flat to plateau at 172. The point is still rising and is now 165 but it is rising more slowly. I might be able to save this sucker.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The temp spike was so short I think that the only thing you may encounter is a darker bark developing earlier in the cook. If the color comes on too fast or gets too dark, you can tent with foil or even wrap the entire brisket and finish cooking.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    Trying to find your osso bucco recipe? I would like to do it in a cast iron dutch oven. Any issue if yiour recipe has tomatoe in it. Keep reading about tomato pastes not doing well in cast iron.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    If it works out maybe you could call it a TRex brisket. B)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is the one I use. It's been forever since I posted it, you may be thinking of someone elses...

It's my understanding that tomato based sauces are not a good idea for freshly seasoned or re-seasoned cast iron only. I have never had a problem in cooking tomato dishes in mine.

Ossobuco con Porcini
    Recipe from B. Caggiano, Trattoria Cooking

1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
    3 ½ pounds of veal shanks (1” to 2” thick)
    2 cups flour
    2T butter
    3T olive oil
    2 stalks celery – diced
    1 carrot – diced
    1 cup dry marsala
    1 cup broth, from veal if you can, or from beef & chicken
    1 cup canned Italian tomatoes – strain to remove seeds
    salt
    pepper
    2T chopped parsley

Soak mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, strain and save the water. Rinse the mushrooms well in cold water and chop roughly. Strain the water through paper towels to remove any grit. Save 1 cup of the liquid.

Dredge the veal in flour and shake off excess. Heat butter and oil in a large heavy skillet. When the butter foams, add the veal and cook until brown on both sides. Remove the veal, add carrots and celery to the skillet and lightly brown. Return the veal, add the mushrooms, add the wine and cook until the wine is reduced. Add the broth, tomatoes and the strained water from the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover the skillet with the lid slightly askew. Cook on low for 1 ½ to 2 hours until meat falls away from the bone. Stir in the parsley and serve.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery