Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin First Cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The pork tenderloin was AWESOME. Great first cook. I might have used too much apple wood for some (my wife), but everything turned out fine. I have never created a flavor like this, and the timing and temp were perfect: 350 for 35 minutes. Not overcooked at all.[p]Thanks for everyone's help. I hope I will be able to pass along some EW (Egg Wisdom) some day.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Stephen, give it a try with no smoke next time, for me the coals penetrate the meat with enough smoke flavor, also there are many rubs that have a 'smoke' taste to them as well.....Head Country being one..[p]Mop[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    Good suggestion. And a good established fire...eh? [p]I need to try that head country. Been hearing good things.[p]Beers to you, you controversial guy you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop,[p]Thanks Mop, I think you are right on. Although my wife loved the pork she requested less smoke flavor. I put three chunks of apple wood on the fire, and would only put one, or a you suggested, NONE, next time. Any more advice, please let me know[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Stephen

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Nature Boy, Qfan was kind enought to have brought me some Head Country from his stint at Jack Daniels and a tenderloin is the first thing I tryed it on, the first 'distinct' flavor that was noticed was the smoke taste, nice rub...[p]That W'ham is some crazy stuff too.[p]
    yes, a well established fire is as important for the 'low smoke' mode...[p]just a guy that calls em as I sees em....if it smells like dog.....well, you get the idea.[p]beers to you as well..[p][p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Stephen,
    Play with the smoke and see what you like. Some folks like a good smoke on everything. Others, like me, like extra smoke on sausages, butts, briskets and a few other things. But for lean meats, I like plain ol' lump, and a healthy fire.[p]A little smoke goes a long way with most things. And lump gives plenty of flavor..especialy to those who are not accustomed to cooking with wood products.[p]Enjoy the ride.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ