Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoking steaks

OkeejohnOkeejohn Posts: 291
edited 10:34AM in EggHead Forum
Which is better--cold smoke a thawed steak or cold smoke a frozen steak?
Also, how do I make these font size bigger on the forum--I'm talking about where it says "post new topic"???

John
·

Comments

• HubHub Posts: 56
    Although time doesn't always allow me to do so, I always prefer to use fresh steaks over frozen ones. :unsure:
    ·
  • Okeejohn, wouldn't smoking a frozed piece of meat be like trying to smoke a brick. It's not going to absorb much.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    meat doesn't absorb smoke.

i don't understand his question to begin with, but the only thing about smoke which penetrates is the nitric acid. it forms on the surface and wicks into the meat, making the smoke ring. all the flavor is on the surface, until (like with pulled pork) it gets mixed into the inner meat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·