Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perhaps dumb ?'s re: the handling/storage of lump.

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all and Happy Saturday!

I was just getting my egg ready to trex some rib-eye and decided that there must be a better way to deal with lump.

I needed to clean out ash ect so all the leftover lump came out. Most of it ends up as really small bits that "look" too small to put back in. Is that idiotic? Any way, the larger of the used stuff goes into a galvanized bucket, the little tid-bits get tossed and the egg gets de-ashed.

Now to the bag of lump (bge brand if it matters). On the top of my bags are all the larger peices with progressively smaller pieces down at the bottom. For tonight, I will be reaching my hand deep into that black obyss to pull out single-piece after single-piece of lump to add to the lava...It's a mess and seems too time consuming.

I cann't believe there isn't a better way. I get just as flustered when I am setting up a long, low and slow.

So....anybody want to share their lumpy little secrets.... :woohoo:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I stir the leftover lump with the ash tool to get the ash to fall through the fire grate. I don't worry about the size of the lump and just pour it in right out of the bag. -RP
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. Don't worry about the small stuff just dump new lump on top and cook away! :huh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i'm like randy i just try to get all the ash out and just dump in the lump i have not had any problems with this method :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BlueRidge
    Options
    Do you all do anything special for the really high temp cooks? I have been following the instructions for the trex method where you slowly add lump to the growing fire to get to the really high temps (750-1000) for my sear. So if I just light from the bottom with a full egg of lump you think I should be able to get the same results....

It's worth a try that's for sure!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    nope i just stir and dump when i say stir i mean nice and easy so not to break up any pieces. i just leave the daisey wheel off when i am trying to go nuclear. :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    BlueRidge, how do you light from the bottom, e.g. what with? I used the propane torch, but I can't really tell it its lit or not other that just to sit and wait.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    B;ueRidge, I do it just like you.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    When I say I light from the bottom I have in the past emptied the egg, made a small stack of lump and lit that with a starter square. Then I have added lump.

Tonight, I will fill the egg, make a deep well in the center and put a starter cube or two into the hole, once it's going I will then "cover" the hole back up with the surrounding lump....

I think it should work fine....I am discovering with this grill that I may have a propencity to make simple things more complicated than they really should be :blush:
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    Molly,
    Are you at all frustrated with this messy method?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yes. I'm sure if someone were watching me (I'm sue the niehbors are) they would laugh. I get a full baking sheet and a pocket full of food service gloves. When my egg is unlocked, pulled out and tables up I open her up and take all the old lump out and put on the baking sheet. clean out ash (every3rd or 4th I dismantle) get my bag of lump and start building. At this point I've gone thru 2 pairs of gloves and every time I tear the fingers and my finger tips are black, but I still use the gloves (??) I start with large lump then medium then small, leaving room to put the used on top after I start the fresh.
    Creature of habit I guess or a virgo thing I don't know:)
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I subscribe to the Elder Ward method of sorting my lump for lo & slo. If you haven't read it; look in the recipes at his on doing pulled pork.
    Several times a year, I sort my lump into large, medium,and small in different plastic storage units.

When, I am doing a short cook, and I have some old lump in the egg; I stir the old lump; sift the ashes; clean; and add new lump; usually the small lump.

I do not just open a bag and dump; been sorting for over 20 years. Messy? Not really.
    Hammer