Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and the Egg

Options
ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to cook a chicken and see if I could replicate the color that was achieved on the Cornish game hen earlier this week. For the result of my labors check out the link provided.
A happy weekend to all!
John

[ul][li]Chicken and the Egg[/ul]

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Outstanding looking feast. My compliments[p]Gotta try something along those lines soon (Pics made me ravenous - pun intended)[p]Cajun
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Another great show, thanks. I did one yesterday as well but I used the plate setter,drip pan and then grill. Did not come close to your color (yes, italian dressing). I think the plate setter diverts the smoke up the sides of the egg. Does your drip pan hold up to the flames of the lump?????
    New Bob

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    ravnhaus, I find to get the 'RED' color in bbq, adding more paprika does the trick. If you look at rub receipes, the amount of papkrika is substantial to the other ingredients. You can even add more paprika to your favorite comercial rub if you find it does not leave your meats with the color you want. Also I use Turbino (raw) sugar instead of regular brown sugar as it does no burn as eaisly.[p]Marv

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    ravnhaus, Oh yeah, I for got to say, I thouhgt you hens looked VERY good the way they were. I wouldn't kick them off MY plate. The color you achieved is the same color I strive for in all my cooks. you should be proud.
    But if you are like me, it is never good enough.......next time I am going to do this...instead of that...[p]Marv

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    char buddy,
    Bravo!

• char buddy
    Options
    I think I better re-post this before I get in big trouble...[p]ravnhaus, as you know I give out my famous award for best egger of the year at the end of the year. Last year KennyG won this prestigious award for his posts from motel rooms pondering whether to bring his egg with him on business trips so he could be spared the food at local restaurants.[p]This year BBQBeth has taken an early lead with her tragic story of a long-standing custodial battle over the family Egg. (Hang in there, Beth, we're all pulling for you. How you make it from day to day after looking at the King o' Coals' Pictures, I can only imagine.[p]Anyway, you are now officially in the running for egger of the year. It's those artsy landscape and sunset shots you mix in with those 'how I cooked dinner last night' montages. This is break through stuff, causing me to have to change my dinner plans night after night. Now if you could just rig up a slide show with music.....[p]CB
  • ravnhaus
    Options
    char buddy,
    Actually I have been thinking about a slide show with music using Microsoft Powerpoint but I wasn't sure if very many people had that application. I have made vacation shows and a homage to my cats to the music "Year of the Cat" that worked out pretty good.
    hmmm... I feel a weekend project coming on.
    Suggestions for music?

• ravnhaus
    Options
    New Bob,
    I use cheap aluminum pans that the Ravnest picks up at the dollar store that I line with foil and use over again until the coons and possumms get a hold of them and finish them off. Seems to work very well as chicken did not seem to be licked by flames.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]This page has an amusing chicken song...if you've got the ability to record what's playing, you could "borrow" it.[p]http://www.lolfun.com/flash_laughs/chicken/index.cfm[p]--sdb
  • elFloyd
    Options
    At least us eggers know the answer to the age old question of what came first: "the chicken or the egg".
    The egg did, of course... and it's green!!

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    "Suggestions for music?"[p]The Beatles - I Am The Walrus
    Louis Jordan - Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens
    Link Wray - Run, Chicken, Run
    Little Walter - Chicken Shack[p]

• BluesnBBQ,[p]You forgot the Rolling Stones Red Rooster :)[p]Same as Chicken right ?[p]BB

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    "You forgot the Rolling Stones Red Rooster"[p]Yeah, but I prefer Howlin' Wolf's version.[p]Also: [p]Mississippi John Hurt - Chicken
    Merle Travis - I like My Chickens Frying Size
    Lil' Ed & The Blues Imperials - Chicken, Gravy And Biscuits[p]And pretty much anything by James "Super Chikan" Johnson

[ul][li]Super Chikan[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Steve.
    James "Super Chikan" Johnson is on my hot list.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Wow, I've been told that you can judge a person by knowing who their heroes are. You are now my hero.[p]Awesome pics,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Huge grin, and an LOL.
    What would we do without your humor?[p]Ales
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Not to take away from the bird (splendid job by the way, mouth is thouroughly watering as I type) but how do you manage to achieve such a fantastic sunset?
    Bravo, nice work all around![p]C~Q <--on his way backtracking through the archives for more of these magnificent photo montages

• ravnhaus
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Here is a link to my site. It is still being worked on but links to past photo adventures are there.[p]

[ul][li]ravnhaus BBQ Site[/ul]