Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork in How Many DAYS!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in Using the Egg
I've had my egg since March2006. It does the best steak and ribs I've ever eaten. I thought for Labor Day I would do some pulled pork. Got everything ready according to Elder Ward's recipe I downloaded from The Whiz's site. I used the plate setter, put the cooking grate on it, put a drip pan on the grate, put the roasting rack in the drip pan and put the Boston Butt on the roasting rack(I have a Med. Egg so I couldn't put the rack on the Plate Setter and the roasting pan on th rack and get the lid to close). I put the 5.5- 6.Lb Boston Butt on the fire around 11:30 on 9-3-04. I stabilized the fire, not at 195deg. but at 210deg. and when I went to bed at 3:00AM my brand new Poulder thermometer said Mr. Pig's cooking tempurature was 128deg. When I got up at 7:45 this AM, the Egg temp. had dropped to 165deg. and Mr Pigs's intermnal temp was only 132deg. Brought the temp back up to 215-220deg(The roast's temp. dropped to 130deg. while I was doing this) w/in 20/30 min. It has been at 220Deg. all day. As I write this, it's 5:20PM and the internal meat temp. is only 156Deg. and I've had to raise the egg temp. to 130Deg. to get it to move at all. At this rate I'll eat about Thursday. Anybody got any thoghts besides Smokey Bones for BBQ?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    your temp was too low at the start. when i want to slow down a cook, i'll go at 200-225, and find that makes for a 2.5 hour per pound cook at best.

bump to 250 at least. at this point, you could go to 300 and you'd be fine.

low temps like 220 are nice to be able to achieve, but the only thing they really add to a cook is ungodly amounts of time.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    If this guy is still paying attention, I'll be amazed. Look at the date on his post. What's up with that???

Paul
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    weird. i kinda ignored the references to Labor Day... thought maybe he'd bumped his head or something.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante