Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Plate Setter and Pizza Stone

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --[p]Do I need to do anything to season or break in my new pizza stone and plate setter that I got for Christmas? Or, can I just crank up to 600 and start cooking pies?[p]Also, does anyone have a good website with some pizza tips?[p]Thanks.[p]Matt

Comments

• NICE picture -- thanks for the link, T-Rex. I'll let you know how it turns out....
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Matt, Hope this helps. I get the dome temp at 500 degrees. I pre-cook my dough for about 3 minutes on the stone in the pie shape. I remove add pizza sauce cheese and toppings and return to egg for about 10 minutes and check cook time depends on toppings. Don't season the stone don't use soap on it or add oil it will ruin it!
    GOod luck!!!![p] Posted by BabyBoomBBQ on January 25, 2007 at 12:13:32:[p]In Reply to: Pondering the Perfect Pizza Recipe posted by Pharmeggist on January 25, 2007 at 01:27:44:[p]Pharmeggist,[p]Here's what I use. It took me years to get my pizza where I wanted it. I finally got a book, "The Art or Pizza Making" by Dominick DeAngelis that guided me to satisfaction. Now that I use the BGE, my pies hold their own with any pie from anywhere. I urge you to get a copy![p]I use 2/3 partskim, low moisture mozzerlla and 1/3 belgioioso auricchio provolone. Belgioioso is the brand and auricchio provolone means aged provolone. For the 14" pie below, I used 6.6 oz mozzarella and 3.3 oz of the provolone. This will give you the cheese flavor like a NY style pizza. I use a little parm at the table.[p]Pizza Dough:[p]Yield: one dough ball for a 14-inch pizza. Double for two, triple for three. When making multiple recipes, cut into equal portions prior to rising. Use weight to divide![p]3/4 Cup Warm water (or warm flat beer, which I use.)
    4 Tsp. Sugar
    1 Tsp. Olive Oil (NOT Extra Virgin)
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 1/2 Cup High Gluten Flour
    1/2-Cup Semolina Flour[p]1) Measure flour and set aside.
    2) Measure other ingredients.
    3) Mix all ingredients except flour and mix until solids dissolved.
    4) Immediately, add liquid to mixer, turn on low and add flour.
    5) Knead for at least 10 minutes or until the gluten forms the baker’s window when you make a mini pizza and stretch it. Do not over knead!
    6) Form ball and place in a lightly oiled zip lock bag so that the ball is resting on the opening.
    7) Allow dough to rise for two hours.
    8) Pinch down gently, reform ball, return to bag and set in refrigerator for at least two hours or up to 24 - hours.
    9) Allow dough to reach room temperature before using.[p]BP’s Fire Roasted Pizza Sauce[p]3/4 Cup Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes, drained with fluid reserved (I use Muir Glen)
    1 Tbs. Unsalted Tomato Paste, NO ADDITIVES AT ALL
    1 Tbs. Reserved fluid from Crushed Tomatoes
    1 Tbs. Good quality Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Tbs. Good Quality Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
    ¾ tsp Fresh chopped Basil (or ¼ tsp dried)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 clove Fresh garlic, pressed
    ¼ tsp kosher salt
    Dash of fresh ground pepper.[p]Makes enough for a 14” pie and scales well.[p]Add about ¼ of the olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Over medium heat, slowly cook tomato paste until it gets a rich mahogany finish. You will see the color change when it starts to simmer. This is a key step! Caramelizing the paste gives the sauce that simmered for hours taste. [p]Next, Sauté garlic and basil in remaining oil over low-medium heat until garlic is browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring now and again. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before putting on your dough. Don’t forget to use dough dressing or even this low moisture sauce can make your dough soggy. I use 2 Tbs. Olive Oil (note not extra virgin) ½ clove pressed Garlic and ½ tsp. sugar for each 14” red pie.[p]
    The pies look like this:
    [p][p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Matt,[p]You shouldn't, but I recommend putting in the stones when the dome temp hits 250F to 300F. I also recommend that you visit the Whiz's site and read the pizza baking section.[p]Puj

[ul][li]Whiz's Pizza Section[/ul]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Matt,
    There's a lot more than one right way to do it. [p]If you don't regularly make pizza, I'd recommend buying the dough ready to use at a local pizza parlor. I've never paid more than $2 for the Pizza dough.[p]Make sure you get the fire going, then add the platesetter and pizza stone so that when the dome temp is up to your desired temp, so is your stone.[p] Also some folks cook the pizza in a perforated pizza pan on the stone, some use parchment paper on the stone and some just dust the stone with cornmeal - they all work it's a matter of what YOU like to do.[p]600 is hot enough. Some like to go as hot as they can, others will keep it at around 500. again, you're choice but I'd start with 600-650 and see how that works.[p]Have fun, take pictures and post 'em!

[ul][li]Pizza Site[/ul]
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I would go to a good pizza place and buy some dough for the first few cooks. If you don't have a pizza peel make the pizza on parchment paper. I cook directly on the stone and don't pre-cook the dough. The last few I made I started to make my own dough. I make my pizza on a screen, put it on the stone. After the dough starts to look like its starting to brown, I use the peel to pick up the pizza, pull the screen and put the pizza directly on the stone. I have not got into making it a pretty pizza, but it sure tastes good.
    DSC_0053-1.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://pizzeriasecrets.com/
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/
    make sure to have parchment or corn meal
    do not wash your pizza stone.
    cooking pizza and making dough are two differnt skills. follow others advice and learn to cook first using store bought dough, let it come to room temp before rolling it out.
    yesterday there was a thread about the pizza dvd scroll down that might be of help.
    go to foodtv .com search pizza dough. i use alton browns [needs to rest over night] and wolfgang pucks [ready in an hour or so]
    try mixing a lot of ground pepper in the corn meal adds a nice dimension to your pizza.
    i like classico four cheese spagetti sauce, real mozzerella [not the bagged, shredded 'plastic' cheese] and fresh basil.
    took me a while to get a decent result don't get bummed if it takes some practice.
    bill
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I used a cheese combo of mozzerella and munster. It was good. I'm waiting for the pizza secrets video to arrive. I have the pdf you get when you order the video. Now that I can make mu own dough, I will work on the sauce.