Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Options
dirk
dirk Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on accessories most used for a new egg owner? I'm eggcited about trying it out but wanted to check w/some EGGheads about getting a good start. Any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    Welcome to the club. :woohoo: One of the best eggessories I think u should is the plate setter so you can cook things like, ABT ( Atomic Buffalo Turds), Jalapeno poppers, Fatties, and pulled pork.

Good luck and happy eggin :woohoo:
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    Welcome to the club. :woohoo: One of the best eggessories I think u should is the plate setter so you can cook things like, ABT ( Atomic Buffalo Turds), Jalapeno poppers, Fatties, and pulled pork.

Good luck and happy eggin :woohoo:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Dirk,
    The 2 things I use the most are my platesetter and a raised grid....You can check the cooks section of my website for many recipes I have personally done....Welcome...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB's[/ul]
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Dirk,[p]Congrats on the new egg.[p]For me, the platesetter is a great accessory. It allows for indirect cook, which is great with pork and chicken.[p]The grill extender is nice and I use that a fair amount.[p]A nice beer can chicken accessory is great. It is nice because you can cook a whole chicken, which is fairly cheap with amazing results. I use the "sittin' chicken".[p]http://cookschoice.com/sittin-steamers/Sittin-Chicken-Steamer.html[p]A BGE table is great to have. I worked from my nest for about a month. It was OK but I did not have anywhere to put things. The table is great for that. Also, you can store some of your accesories, smoking woods, etc.[p]Other things that you will need:[p]Drip pans: Someone at the EGGtoberfest suggested buying the disposables at Costco. You can get about 10 of them for $7, which is a lot cheaper than the grocer. Plus, you do not have to clean them up.[p]High Temp Gloves: When I needed to grab a hot placesetter or grill. Oven mits just do not do the trick. I have a pair of high temp ORKAs which are great. You can get at linens and things (Make sure to print off a 20% coupon).[p]http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1354556[p]Meat Thermometer: I picked up one of these polder dual sensor thermometer. The main thing with the EGG is to keep it closed. Therefore, being able to see your meat and dome temperature externally is key. Although this one is not wireless, it is easy to use and fairly cheap at $30. With the 20% off coupon, it is even better.[p]http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1356461&cp&sr=1&origkw=polder&kw=polder&parentPage=search[p]Let me know if you have any questions.[p]Greg
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Dirk,
    Thermapen, Raised Grid, Welder's Gloves, Ash Tool.
    I use 3 of those 4 on EVERY cook. The raised grid is important for cooking chicken parts or spatchcocking and is a cheap way to let you experiment with indirect cooking.

• Invest in a gym or a good exersize program. I gained about 20lbs in the first 6 month of owning a Big Green Egg. Its kind of like the first year of being married you learn to live together, you experiment and try new things.
    FireWalker
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool and this forum!
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Welcome!! The most important thing is to make sure you have a platesetter and the ash tool and then go from there!!...Down the road you can add the pizza stone if you like great wood-oven baked pizzas!![p]But visit and study WessB's and the nakedwhiz.com sites....These fellas have done an incredible job putting together a ton of information that will answer your questions..before you have them...This BGE takes a bit of homework on your part but it's well worth it...These sites will also help you avoid messing up meats which can be costly...Do the homework!![p]Welcome![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Hmm...let's see what I can recommend:

1. Plate setter
    2. Grate extender
    3. Ash tool
    4. Cast iron grate
    5. Polder thermometer ($20 cheapie version from Linens and Things does the trick nicely)
    6. Torch for lighting the lump (I use MAPP gas)
    7. Photobucket account for hosting pics of your handiwork.

That should be good to get you started. Be sure to check the forum frequently and post some pics of your cooks.

Happy Egging!
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I second the recommendation of the Thermapen. I love mine and use it all the time.