Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aloha Hilo Boy - smokin chunks in HI

Options
kau-boy
kau-boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Aloha,

Do you, or anyone, know how to get guava chunks on the Big Island. The web site says no HI address and no answer to my emails.
Mahalo

Comments

• Go to Hawiiguava.com.
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Greg doesn't ship within Hawaii.

Likely he can't.

Currently there are several pests that threaten commercial crops within the state, and the state dept of agg restricts movement of many items between islands and districts within islands. Wood can be a great carrier of pests, and I think it likely that it is controlled.

When we were on the Big Island over Thanksgiving we learned that bananas cannot be taken between districts, as the DOA attempts to limit the spread of a commercially devastating banana pest.

Kau Boy may have to find his guava smoking wood locally, and perhaps not just on his island, but within his agg district.

DD
  • hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    Kauboy, Hawaiiguava.com. or just go look around kau ask someone if they have some guava you can cut and use for smoking.i wouldn't think you would have to buy it.. it grows like weeds all over the island..its all over the place... :woohoo:
  • hiloboy
    Options
    Kauboy, Hawaiiguava.com. or just go look around kau ask someone if they have some guava you can cut and use for smoking.i wouldn't think you would have to buy it.. it grows like weeds all over the island..its all over the place... :woohoo:
  • hiloboy
    Options
    why do i keep posting 2 times? :blink:
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    I tried to email and message on this forum both of you before visiting in Nov.

Sadly, missed you both.

There is a good chance we will return to Volcano in Feb for an extended family celebration.

Any chance either of you might want to get together and 'talk Egg'?

The only Q available to me is a gasser, but with it I can do a mean huli huli mongoose! Otherwise we can retreat to the Kilauea Lodge for repast and adult beverage.

If you would, email me to the addy on my profile.

Aloha and a hui hou,

DD