Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hate to sound green, but it's been forever since I've done cornish hens and I've never done them on the Egg. [p] I'm guessing indirect around 350º till 160 in the breast? Can anyone confirm this for me? Or correct me?[p]Thanks,[p]Happy New Year a couple of days late!

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]I would think that you would want a temperature lower than 350. I usually do my indirect chickens between 250 and 300.[p]Greg
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's how to do 'em! I do mine indirect (drip pan) on a raised grid at 350-375. The last 10 minutes I crank it up to 450 or so.
  • Rather than temperature, I just do my hens until their legs get loose (you know what I mean...) 350 should take a little over an hour. I often mount them on mini juice cans (5.5 oz.) and do them beer-can style, using beer or even pineapple juice.

Rascal
  • RastaEGG
    Options
    I concur, 350 indirect :)

corn.jpg
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]Hi Dave. Your method will work as well as East Cobb Eggy's. I like to cook them longer at a lower temperature. I like 230-250 degrees for 3 hours with butterflied cornish hens.[p]Spin
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    I was shooting for a crispy skin. I didn't mention that I'd be using a vertical roaster or spatchcocking them though.[p] Thought I might try dusting them with cornstarch after a brine of 12 or so hours.[p]Rubbed with butter and herbs also, of course![p]Thanks guys

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm kinda late wading in here about this topic, but we really like Cornish Game Hens and I use the Willie's Chicken Setters (like the small one in the back) which is a ceramic vessel used like a beer can for beer butt chicken, but by design has that flared bottom which makes it rather stable.

IMG_0125.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I do 'em around 275F or so. For me the secret to crispy skin has been to let the little birds (or chicken etc) sit in the refrigerator uncovered for several hours so the skin gets good and dry, and I don't oil the skin.[p]