Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

add charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you are cooking something for a very long time - how do you add more lump yet maintain temperature?

Comments

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Options
    amk,[p]If you have to (and I have) just remove the meat and plate setter, add lump. If you don't want your meat on the fresh lump, stick it in the oven while the lump lights, but I've just put the meat right back on the rack. To prevent having to add more lump, just load the crap out of the egg to begin with. I go half to three quarters up the ring for long smokes. The only time I had to reload, it was 25*F and windy as all get out. I ran out of fuel after 20-24 hours.[p]boz.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have had cooks go over 28 hours and have never had to add lump in the middle of a cook.
    Make sure you have plenmty to begin with and you'll never have to add any.

Fill it to the top of the fire ring - the uppermost of the two ceramic internal pieces. That should maintain 250 for at least 30 hours (on a large).

I fill mine to that point any time I fill and can get 4-5 cooks on that - depending on what is on the menu. If I need more, I just refill to that point again.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    amk,
    If you add enough in the beginning you shouldn't need to add any more. I have never run out of lump and I always fill to the top of the firebox on my XL. Which is approx 9 lbs worth of lump and it will burn for at least 30 hours.[p]Mike

• Mike in MN
    Options
    amk,
    And, make sure you are using a lump charcoal that has long, hot burn characteristics... Wicked Good, for example. If you are using Cowboy brand, you may run into issues after 20+ hours... not with Wicked Good.[p]Mike in MN

• Andham
    Options
    When I fill to the top, the egg gets too hot, even with the top and bottom dampers fully off. I'm using Green Egg charcoal. What am I doing wrong?