Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boys veggies/wok

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried out the SS wok last night. I cut up a zucchini,some onion,bell pepper and broccoli, mixed it all up with a little olive oil,peanut oil and sesame oil along with some black pepper and oregano. Let it set for a bit while putting the wok on the grate, closed the egg and brought it to about 600° for 5 min. then opened the egg and poured the veggies in. It sizzled just like you said, I open the egg every 2 to 3 min. and mixed them up a bit. Cooked about 6 min. total and they were great.[p]I do have to say that the shiny new wok is a bit hard to clean, it is soaking in the sink right now, I know all the black won't come off but some of it is.
Nature Bob,
Thanks for teaching me how ta "WOK" ÜÜÜ
Beers to ya,
New Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Cool! Glad it worked for you. I was kinda thinking that stainless steel would get pretty dark and seasoned looking. You just have to remember, the thing IS for the grill, and will probably get blacker and blacker as you use it. I figure at 600 degrees, not a whole lot of nasties will survive. Personally, I would get the big crusties off, and give it a general cleaning not being too concerned about the black stuff. Just so chunks aren't coming off in your food. I am thinking it will kind of take on a seasoning like cast iron would. Hopefully some folks who really know will chime in.
    Beers back
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks, I agree about the black, I didn't work to hard on it. Let is soak to loosen things up, a general scrubbing with a pad and bar keepers friend, quick rinse and that's it. At least it looks used. ÖÖÖ
    Not beer thirty yet,
    New Bob

• Nature Boy,[p]I have one of those pounded by hammer original... 100% official :) grin... woks and the instructions for it basicaly recomended a scrubbing with a bamboo scour brush that it came with to get the chunks off and a light rinse in water with "no soap" and paper towel dry ... then recoat with peanut oil to store. [p]It will rust as it has a high iron content if you remove the patina from the oil and high temp. curing. Needless to say... it is a nice blackish color over the years of use.[p]Just what I know about my WOK. [p]Happy Egging.... BB

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    New Bob, I know egg cookin' is great fun, but the wok cooking seems to cook so fast that you wouldn't get any benifit of egg cookin'
    I do know that you can purchase a wok burner for you kitchen stove. It is concave but has coils like your regular burner so the wok fits on it with out having to use the fire ring. I used to have one for my Jen-Aire in my previous marriage. Guess who got it??...and has never used it since. Do you think she would give it to me......NOT!![p]Marv

• Bordello
    Options
    Marv ,
    Sorry to hear the ex was so mean, wouldn't be so bad if she was using it.
    Now, my wok has holes in it and the flames and a little smoke give the veggies a great flavor. I don't think the veggies if being cooked in a solid wok in the egg would be the same. (especially the pineapple and onion) You should get one and give it a try. It can put on a great show at night when you open the lid at that temp to sir em and the flames are shooting up.
    See Nature Boy's post,
    Happy Q to ya
    New Bob

[ul][li]Here[/ul]