Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy my first Egg, which to get L or XL

Options
Keithww
Keithww Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to get my first egg, and can not decide on the large or extra large, I have 4 kids, and like to cook for left overs, so I'm thinking extra large. But I have also considered getting a large this year and talking the wife in to a second large next year. I will cook a brisket and 3 slabs of ribs at one time in my current smoker, but I would like to be able to cook a little more, and to not have all the fire tending issues.

Comments

• Based on what you want to do with it I would recommend the two-Egg approach ( 2 Large, or a large and a medium). It allows you to cook at two different temps at the same time, which gives you a lot of flexibility.

Brett
    Owner of a large, formerly owner of an XL (which I also liked very much)
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    XL are really big ,can almost put a hog in there,I got a large 1st I just love it ,but now I also have a small ,it seems to be the trend , after the 1st one they seem to follow you home, like a cute puppy in the window 100_0545.JPG
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I have both sizes; and use them for different reasons. It depends on how often you cook on the egg and for how many that the benefits of each size come into play.
    I perfer to cook on the XL for the room and capacity; but not always practical; wheras the large makes more sense.
    If I was to advise you based on what you said about four children; leftovers etc; I would suggest the XL.
    Just my opinion!
    Hammer
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Options
    I have and XL and bought it based on the idea that it is hard to have to much grill space. The more you put on the grill the easier it is to move stuff around if you have a little space left over.
    However, and I've never used any other size but I think your fuel consumption will be less and I think the plate setter has more room under it on the large, but I don't know that for a fact. On the extra large it's kinda hard to put a drip pan between the grill and plate setter. I just cover it with foil and let it drip.
    But what ever you decide it will be better than no egg at all.
    I'm a happy camper.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We got a large first and add a small later. We wanted to be able to take it camping and such. I love them both! the small is surprising with what it will hold.
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm still leaning to the XL,

1) it can handle a huge bird,

2) I would like to be able to do an entire rib roast. (all though this new years, I cut two ribs worth of meat off, cut that in to steaks and marinated it for two days, and that was pretty tasty)

3) A bird in the hand, there would be no guaranty of ever getting that second egg.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We did a 24 pound fresh bird in the large for Thanksgiving this year. He was shoe horned in there but all was fine. We Used the mad Max's recipe and it was very tasty!