Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak too smokey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used my egg for the first time to cook up a few steaks based on the technique found in the owners’ manual. I used a new bag of the BGE lump charcoal. The steak was very good but a little smokey for my taste (for a steak anyway). Any suggestions on getting steak a little less smokey? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Did you wait for your smoke to "clear" before starting to cook? It takes about 30 minutes from lighting to clear and if you start cooking while there is still a lot of white smoke from your lighting it will taste bad.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Let your lump burn off more. Until you have a "cleaner" smoke. Generally, steakes are cooked at a high enough temperature that smokey-ness shouldn't ba an issue. Additionally, if you used any smoking wood, try not using any the nest time. I am not sure the technique that you used, But I would research the TREX method on this site. It is really fabulous!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    most new users put the food on to soon after lighting the egg. watch for the smoke to disapear before putting the food on the grill, it needs to be almost an invisible blue color.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    From my experiences i think you didn't let the lump burn down enough before you put the meat on and got the smoke flavor from the lump.
    I'm sure more will chime in here and explain this better.
  • Thanks for all of your help. What a great forum.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the other users. It looks like you didn't let the gray smoke clear before cooking. That white/gray smoke has some bad stuff in it ..best to let it clear off ..about 10 minutes typically. I have videos showing it on my website in the Videos section - Cooking burgers on the Egg videos I think #1 has the lighting process / etc. If you are a newbie, you might find some more useful info there.
    Happy Eggin.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    "I have videos showing it on my website in the Videos section - Cooking burgers on the Egg videos I think #1 has the lighting process / etc. If you are a newbie, you might find some more useful info there".

Yes, like when you click over to the BGE accessories section of my Website where I'll gladly sell you anything you need...which is why I posted in the first place!!

Call me for great prices on Eggs too...!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Oh Fred,
    You've come to our rescue once again!! Gee, I wonder what kind of 'bad stuff' is in that smoke? Kinda scary!! I was looking at your recipe section.......some of those look awful familiar! A slight ingredient amount change and, boom, it becomes YOURS!! Brilliant.....
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    You're too funny!
  • Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Options
    I had the same situation with my new egg, but it was because I had been using a GAS grill for 10 years and did not know what real charcoal grilling tasted like.
  • sacker
    sacker Posts: 1
    Options
    What is your web address smokin?
  • Mustard
    Mustard Posts: 28
    Options
    Someone has already mentioned the TRex method of grilling steaks. I will second that here. In the past, if I cooked a steak over low heat, it would tend to have a heavy, almost greasy, smoke taste to it. Starting with a high temp sear makes a huge difference. Waiting for the higher temps also probably serves to burn off some of the heavy smoke - which is what everyone else is pointing out...

Greg