Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a Forum!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I appreciate everyone's interest in helping me with questions about the BGE. I have never seen an forum like this. There were several coments about my earlier post where I claimed the price of the Phoenix was some $600 below the BGE. I looked back at my details, and I have to admit, I was Wr...Wr...Wr...Wrong. OK, I said it.[p]Taxes, Title, and Tags, the dealer said the Phoenix was $540 and the BGE $860 (including rack and side shelves). So the difference is actually $320. This does not include the daisy wheel I keep reading about.[p]I have gotten more info off of this site than any other I have been on about any product...BAR NONE. The enthusiasm for the EGG is phenomenal! Thanks for the help and for keeping me honest. I will let you know what I decide. If there is one thing I know, the support on this site is worth the price of admission.

Comments

• Stephen,[p]Well said- the great people on this forum and the friendly atmosphere are what convinced me to buy an Egg. I bought a Large last year and it was worth every penny- I have loved every meal I've cooked on it. Whatever ceramic you decide to buy make sure to stick around this forum. You'll learn A LOT- I know I have.[p]-Skooter
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Stephen,[p]You are right that this is a great forum. It's odd to have so many friends that I've never met.[p]But check that price on the BGE. Most retailers sell it for around $700, including the daisy wheel. And the daisy is important for fine-tuning the temp -- once you figure it out, you can bump the temp up or down by five or ten degrees at a time, and you can just about pre-set it for a certain temp [e.g., 300 is with the bottom door open an inch and the daisy cracked open a certain fraction].

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Stephen,
    That $820 sounds a little steep, you might want to shop around a little before committing. Try going online, do you have a computer? Just kidding of course, but have you priced direct from BGE? Or try the "Find a local dealer" search on the main page and see if there's anyone else within a reasonable travelling distance that might have what you want at a better price.
    As for the nest and side tables, dump em and build your own table, the plans and dimensions are available for free right here on this site. For about 80 bucks and four hours of your time, you can build a table with much more workspace and storage as well as being much more stable.
    For accessories just get the ash tool, dual function daisy top, dome thermometer and pizza stone if you don't already have one. You can make your own additional implements as you get to know your Egg how it works, (3 firebrick under your pizza stone does the job of a plate setter and a webber grid with four protruding s/s bolts will give you a larger and adjustable second tier cooking grid).[p]Good Luck and Good Q,
    C~Q

• Gordo
    Gordo Posts: 23
    Options
    Stephen,
    Be sure to shop around a little, the prices vary widely. My brother just got one and saved $100's by calling around. Large, nest, egg-mate, thermo & daisy wheel. Cost in Central Kansas now is around $900, West Palm Beach (where he is moving to) $600 delivered and assembled.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]I'm going to need to come over to your house and find out what I'm doing wrong on my table to have it taking so long. Shucks I started mine in November, and I'm still not done...[p]Cheers![p]--sdb
  • char buddy
    Options
    Stephen, depending upon where you live you might check these Egg Festivals. Sometimes a sponsoring dealer will the demo eggs at a serious discount. In most cases the demos were used only once and will usually be set up properly - tight bands, etc.[p]CB