Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tweaking the temperature

Options
Harry
Harry Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a Boston Butt in the BGE now and unfortunately let the temperature get a little high when I started (400 degrees). It's been coming down nicely now and is about 240. Obviously I don't want to let it keep falling too far.[p]Is it better to tweak the temperature with the bottom vent or the top vent? It probably needs just a tad more draft to hold it steady.[p]Thanks
Harry

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Harry,
    I prefer leaving my daisy holes wide open, and totaly controlling by the bottom vent. Sometimes if the temps get away from me, I will shut the daisy some. Otherwise I just leave the holes totally open. I feel like the fire just burns cleaner that way. Only as much air will come out of the daisy as will go into the bottom vent.[p]Just a personal preference.
    Have fun! Enjoy the pulled pork.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Harry
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks, right now I've got them both almost shut down. [p]Would there be less smoke flavor with the daisy holes wide open?[p]Harry

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Harry,
    I don't think it makes any difference. You don't want a real thick smoke anyways. Once your temp starts dropping, I would open up the daisy again. The dome temp takes some time to respond to the smaller fire. If you wait too long too open it up a little, you might be doing a seesaw kinda thing with your temps.[p]Any idea what your cooking level temp is? 250 to 275 dome could be needed to get a 225 cooking level....dependning on your setup.[p]HTH!
    and Beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Harry
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Makes sense - no idea what my cookig level temp is. I'm using the normal thermometer through the top. It's fairly stabilized in the 220 to 240 range. I guess that's probably OK, but still higher than the 200 that Brandt recommends in his recipe.[p]I'm guessing that between 200 and 250 won't make a big differnece, but that remains to be seen.
    Harry

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Harry,
    If you are using the platesetter, firebricks or a drip pan with water, your cooking level could be under 200. Something to think about anywho. [p]My suggestions on the daisy are just what I do. Do what you are comfortable with...people do it differently. [p]Have a blast with it!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Harry
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Excellent point about the cooking level temperature. I hadn't thought about that. I appreciate the help. [p]I'm a little reluctant to play with it too much - I don't plan to be up every 30 minutes to check it all night.<g>[p]Harry