Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Salmon Recepies

dwtdc
dwtdc Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am Grilling Salmon tonight on the EGG. I am not much of a fish eater but we are doing the South Beach thing for heath reasons. I am putting salt, ground pepper, rosemary and olive oil on them. Do you have any more recommendations for Salmon to keep the fishy taste out.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Salmon isn't really fishy to begin with, but try roasting it with a slice or two of lemon on top - then add a little lemon juice at the end as well.

Other than that - it sounds yummy.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    The best way is to buy fresh salmon, and smell it before you purchase it.

Other than that, use plenty of seasoning, and try and get a good sear and crust on it. The robust flavor of the spicy caramelized crust will help a little to counter the fishiness.

Some folks like lemon juice to counter the fihy taste, but lemon and salmon are not the best of buddies on the tongue. Cupla idears. Curious what others say!

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Doh!!!!
    Posted later, and contradicted you! Took me more than 2 minutes to type though ;-)

Your tongue is different than mine fo sho!
    Okay....I better get offa here and stop yappin. Have a good one brutha!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • dwtdc
    Thanx Nature Boy,

Hey, like the kitchen! Where is your new home located???
    P.S. thanks for the ideas.

David
  • dwtdc
    Thanks Guys for the info!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Well, I was gonna suggest something else...but my wife is not really a fish lover and she puts lemon and or the juice of same on all fish to mask the taste.

I prefer my fish to taste like, well, what's the word...oh yea - FISH. Give me some halibut or grouper and just a light splash of seasonings. But I digress.

Contradiction and new ideas are what make this forum so great anyway. If only someone could come up with some decent pre-packaged rub for salmon.....
  • Nature Boy
    Happy to help!
    Thanks for the kind words. We are really happy and the food tastes better than ever with a cooktop that actually throws out heat! Our new home is right smack where are old home was....Fairfax, Virginia. Here was our kitchen a little over a year ago.

Here is hoping you minimal fishiness!! Good luck with the cook.
    Chris kitchenAfterFire.jpg
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Halibut is my favorite. Yumola!
    Hmmm... salamon rub. Good idea!
    One more post and I'm outta here!
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • dwtdc
    Wow!

I guess you are ready for the new counter top to come in.

Best Wishes
  • dwtdc
    I have had grilled grouper. It is good. I like the white meat light taste. I feel this may be good tonight(the salmon) it does not smell too fishy now!

Thanks Fidel
  • You're probably well on the way to cooking your salmon by now but I wanted to mention that I cooked a piece last week on a cedar plank and it was as good or better than any you could buy in the most expensive restaurants.

Soaked the cedar plank, rubbed a little olive oil on the fish, then some Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree rub. That was it. I used some chunks of Alder smoking wood and cooked it until about 130-135° internal. Couldn't have been better.

Around here during this DIEt, salmon is the new steak. Good stuff is just hard to find.

Spring "Just Ounces Away From Poundly Goals" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Chris, aka Nature Boy, has this great recipe on his website. Not sure if I'm doing the link thing right - hopefully it will attach - if not check out dizzypigbbq.com and go to recipes and you'll find it. Lots of other good stuff to peruse while you're there!

Patty
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    The good stuff is going to be a bit harder for me to come by too - Cho quit her job down at the fish place, so now I will have to get off my rear and go catch my own. ;)
  • That's okay, we can wait LOL... We'll just have to eat that Atlantic Farm Raised stuff, whatever that is.

Are jobs in Sitka so plentiful that quitting is an option for Cho? Or is she just the foot-loose and fancy-free kind of gal?

You realize you need a big boat for my Sweetie and Me. We are Landlubbers. Although there was a time when we actually owned a sailboat in Miami. Can you believe it, we had never been on the ocean in our lives and bought a sailboat that had a galley, head and supposedly slept five. But we never got out too far from the coast. I may be from Louisiana but I'm not stupid.

Well, there was another adventure where we were on the low seas. My new bride ended up catching a 250 lb, 99" long shark right off Miami Beach. Too big to put in the boat it was.

Oh yea, I paddled a pirogue around a lot when I was a kid. That was back before people had motorboats.

So you can see that we lack "high seas" experience and will need a goodly size boat to take us fishing when we come up. Otherwise, we will just have to fish from the bank with a cane-pole and mess of worms.

Now you know why that box of salmon you sent was so valuable.

Spring "Keep The Light On For Us" Chicken
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Hmm..... we will have to work on the boat situation. We could always ride along with my parents. The Corlimaness is a gorgeous boat, but we are looking at buying something a few feet shorter and about 3/4 of a million cheaper. :)

As for Cho..... who knows with her!! She is going to have to leave Sitka to get a decent job. She had really hoped that her job at the plant was going to turn into something more, but it just didn't.

Ok - I'm off to find some cane poles & a bucket of worms... might take a bit. ;)
  • We did the SB thing and it really worked. We cook salmon regularly and our fav is to spray it lightly with EVOO and dust it with one of two things:
    1. I'm lazy, I use Dizzy Pig Raging River
    2. Energetic, a light (or not) dusting of garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

Grill at about 400 dome for no more than 10 min/inch total. Of course reduce time for thinner pieces.

I serve with a home made jalapeno mayo made of jalapeno nacho slices, mayo, white wine, green onion, and black pepper all pureed in a blender.

You still get the salmon flavor and for those sensitive to fishy issues, the cayenne and jalapenos dull it. Anyway, really good.