Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What time to start my butt.

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have another thread about my new DigiQ but wanted a new one for more responses on this priticular question. I have a 8.4 lb bone in pork butt that I want to pull. Cooking on a medium Egg w/platesetter and drip pan using new DigiQ at 215 pit temp and want to pull it around 200 meat temp. What time do I need to start it to have it come off between 10 and 14:oo (2pm) tomorrow. I know its not an exact science just ball park. Thanks

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Rule of Thumb...1-1/2 hour per pound. But, I had a 5 lb're go for 12 hours once. Add a couple hours for safety.

Good luck.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I did a 7# on new years with pit at 230 and it took 14 hours. It was fantastic. The Guru is a great accessory!
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,
    Ones that size usually take me 12-14 hours, but like you said, exact timing is a shot in the dark.
    Tom

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    i had 3.4 # i cooked mon. at 250 and i put it on 9 am and took it of at 5:30 pm when it reached 200. it was a boneless i dont know if that makes a differance.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think if you cook it at 215 dome temp it will take much longer than you expect.

Clip the pit probe to your dome thermo, set it for 240-250 and plan on 2-2.5 hours per pound. Set the food temp to 205 and make sure the ramp mode is on. If it gets close to done early the guru will lower the temps so you don't overshoot my much.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    JLOCKHART29, My plan would be to get it in the EGG around 7 pm. Then, see how it's going overnight & in the morning. If it's done a little early, do the HDF (heavy duty foil) wrap, followed by old towels and/or newspaper and put it in a cooler for a while. If it's a bit behind schedule when you wake, bump the heat up a bit. It won't hurt anything and will get you through the "plateau" a little faster. That's my advice and I'm stickin' to it! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I agree with Fidel's ballpark timing. I did an 8-lb butt last weekend and it took 11 hours at 250-275. At 215, that would push it to 2 hours per pound, minimum. Count on 17-20 hours to get that butt done.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,
    I did two for Christmas. A little over 8 lbs each. I maintained 250 dome and it took right at 21 hours. It did take 2 hours for the temp to return to 250 after I put the meat in. Not sure if that first two hours count or not. It was 21 hours from meat in to meat out. 250 dome on my Xl was 210 grid. I think I could have bumped it up to maybe 225 grid and sped it up. Egg was happy and so was I so I left it at that temp. [p]Gonna be interesting to see what you like about the DigiQ, and don't like. Please keep us posted. [p]Mike

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    JLOCKHART29

I just did 2 butts that totaled 17+ lbs. I clipped my DigiQ pit sensor to the end of my dome thermometer. I used the plate setter with a drip pan and added some apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Set the temp for 250 and they took around 17 hours. At the temp your talking I would guess you are looking at more them 1 1/2 hours a pound. This was on a large, you have a medium, so I'm not sure if anything I just wrote applies. Good luck on your cook. Also I would make sure your fire box is FULL, I'm not sure how long a medium will last at that temp.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    By 215 pit temp...are you referring to grid temp...and if you are that will give you a dome temp of about 240...And that's low by a few degrees for a Butt....Ideal is 250 grid...275 +/- dome...indirect....With these specs...your meat should be finished in 12.5 to 17 hours...remembering that each hunk of butt is different....I'm thinking 13 to 14 hours...you do the math on the clock......[p]Butts are difficult to mess up...The BGE allows you to smoke a Butt at a somewhat higher temp than a tradtional msoker...and that's the beauty of the BGE....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    NEW08023.jpg
    <p />JLOCKHART29,
    Thank I will go with the 250 degree pit temp at about 20:00 (8 pm) set at ramp mode for 200 internal temp. Thank there is enough lump in the box or do I need more. Is about 3/4 inch up straight wall ring now? Cleaned out Egg well and large chunks on bottom.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i always add atleast half way up the ring, more is better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,
    You have a lot of answers on the other side. I don't know if you are seeing them or not?

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=385904&catid=1[/ul]
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I loaded mine almost to the top of the fire ring. It was almost touching the plate setter. Lit it right in the center. I had plenty leftover. I would add more.
  • hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    Options
    Onet thing to watch is the blinking. It lets you know how long the fan is running. I did 2 butts a couple of weeks ago and went out of town. When I returned the fan was running at almost 90 percent. I checked the lump and almost out. that was filling to the top of the fire box and running 235 for 14 or 15 hrs. I think some of the large pieces in the bottom caused me issues by notting catching on fire easily. Have fun and you will love the guru.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Yea Mike I check all messages on new forum put post on old so all can see/read. Thanks for asking though.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,
    That's not enough lump, take it up to about 1/2 up the fire ring. My butts usually go for about 20 hrs, but that's on a large.