Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Question

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So this afternoon I'm replacing a window in this fish processing plant and this guy starts loading up this table next to me with bags of Maine shrimp just brought in off the truck that all the employees are buying for themselves. So I asks the guy "how much?" figuring on a deal of maybe 5 or 6 bucks per pound. He says "Fo you I make-a spesha deal, 2 dolla a poun". So now I've got these two five pound bags of shrimp that look real good except that they haven't been peeled and deveined yet, but thats no problem because I know how to do that, but what I need to know is, is there any special trick to cutting the heads off these suckers? These are whole shrimp off the boat just this morning.
Most of the recipes that I use shrimp for are crawfish recipes that say you can use shrimp if you can't get crawfish, but they all specify leaving the heads on the crawfish, can you do the same with shrimp?[p]Thanks for any suggestions,
C~Q

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Sure can, just when cooked just snap em off.[p]Jethro
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Hi lucky!Just pinch the heads where it joins the body and it will be just like the market.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Save those Heads!
    To any Cajun or Creole cook they are as good as gold! If you are making any seafood dish that needs stock those babies are perfect. Even the shells and tails make great stock. If you don't want to bother with them now you can freeze and make the stock later.[p]Basic stock A la Paul Prudhomme: Take a couple pounds heads, shells, and tails and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over high then gently simmmer at least 4 hours, replenishing the water to keep at least 1 quart of liquid in the pan. Srain, cool and refrigerate. Can freeze, too.
    Shrimp heads have lots of fat in them and make really flavorul stock. Make some Etouffe!
    You are a fortunate soul to get shrimp off the boat.[p]WD

• Citizen Q,[p]At the sushi restaurant I frequent they have tempura shrimp that you eat the head and all. They are fried to the point of being super crisp. [p]I know this sounds sort of creepy... but they are quite delicious. Shoot... thats where all the flavor is :) grin[p]I had sushi last night and smoked oysters today for lunch..life is good :)[p]Happy Egging .... BB

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]One particular recipe springs to mind. If you have the Barbecue Bible look up the recipe for Emeril's New Orlean's BBQ Prawns.[p]Takes a couple hours but it's truly splendid. Definately rich and you'll want a baguette or some sourdough to sop up the sauce but it's egg-capable and will truly make use of the shells and heads in making the sauce.[p]I even make this one occasionally w/o the egg by sauteing the shrimp when the weather's bad and I'm to much of a sissy to head outdoors. =)[p]Todd
  • Hooch
    Hooch Posts: 9
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I presume you are talking about what they refer to as "native" shrimp - which have just come in season in New England. I spent last week skiing in the White Mountains and enjoyed some as passing through the seacoast. When I was a little one up there on the coast we used to get them by the five gallon bucket directly from the fishermen. As Jim R states, just pinch the heads off as you clean them. They have a delicate, sweet flavor. We used to have them either quick steamed or deep fried. You can also use them in any number of sauces w/ pasta or, one of my favorites, different curries over rice.[p]They're a real treat. Enjoy![p]Hooch
    (previous posting as NYFerg)

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    I just love shrimp questions![p]As you've gathered, just pop the head off, then peel.[p]What did you do with the rest of them? You may want to freeze some for later date. If so, pop the heads off but leave the rest of the shell on and freeze in just enough water to cover.[p]Something non-egg to do with them:
    little olive oil in a pan, lot of butter, seasonings, little lemon juice, toss the shrimp in for a few minutes till nice and pink, serve over yellow rice....mmmm...doesn't get much better. Well, ok, it does...but that's a different reciepe. Anymore questions, feel free to write.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Try this one. It calls for the shrimp to have the head on.
    I know that this is a good one.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Pickapeppa’s Peppa-Q-Shrimp [/ul]
  • Citizen Q, melted butter , about 3 T - couple whole cloves garlic - 1/2 t dried taragon - med heat - add shirmp - heaven . reg

• Citizen Q,
    Hope im not to late, but in my opinion the best way to eat freah maine shrimp is to boil a BIG pot of salted water. Dump the whole shrimp,heads and all, into a baket and lower into the boilin water. Be very carful not to over cook, maine shrimp over cook quickly, 3 minutes tops, but dont over load the water. The water will turn dark after a few batches from the eggs. Then just peal and drop in a bowl of melted butter. Dont worry about them little black eggs, u wont even know they are there. Im goin to get a batch tommorow after work

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Thanks to all for the help. I ended up cleaning the whole batch at once and portioning. Tonight was shrimp scampi, tommorrow night will be a shrimp & bacon and a shrimp, onion, tomato & garlic pizza on the Egg and then I think I'll do an etoufee Saturday afternoon with the rest and freeze that in batches.
    I tried to make a stock from the heads and shells but as soon as it came to a boil, the most disgusting smell known to man started to eminate throughout the house. I probably should have rinsed them better, they were loaded with eggs and silt which gave off the strong odors of sulfer and ammonia mixed with burning dog crap. Thank God for Yankee Candle Makintosh Apple.[p]Again, many thanks.
    C~Q

• elFloyd
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]I lived in New Orleans for ten years, and have been visiting there for 30 years. Even did a bit of shrimp'n a few times. I've boiled many a pound of shrimp and crawfish... leave the heads on. I also do shrimp on my BGE... heads off.[p]It's best to do the boil out side. Get a big pot of water boiling and don't forget the shrimp or crab boil. Dump the shrimp in there..... bring the water back to boil. When they start floating (about three minutes), cut the heat and let them set for five more minutes. oh yeah.... add some new potatoes and small onions to the boil too.[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Bubba Gump would have been proud of you.[p]However the sulfurous burning dog doo doo is a new phenomenon to me and probably would have made Bubba scratch his head a little as well. I haven't got a clue.
    I'll give my Cajun chef buddy a call and see if he can't throw some light on this. Certainly don't want it happening to me.[p]Happy Q.[p]WD

• Citizen Q,[p]Awwww... you messed up !!![p]You should have frozen some of that juice for the next time you have unwanted.. uninvited ...company over :)[p]You just freeze that stuff up in a ice cube tray and put in a baggie when frozen. When the unwanted company comes over.. Put a cube or two in a cup and heat it up so that it makes a nice heavy steam cloud in the kitchen.[p]Tell them.... OK... Dinner is almost ready :)[p]Happy Egging... BB