Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping.. Hammer Here ya go... Cioppino

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for the off-line help... [p]There are some other more involved recipes which include more types of fish. I was in Las Vegas many years back and endeded up eating their Cioppino every meal I could manage.[p]Below are what I liked out of several recipes I found. I modified the original to my liking and the further modified as time passed. The newer changes are in '( )' as you will see below.[p]I hope you and others who try it enjoy it as much as I do.[p]
Cioppino:
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 large green pepper, diced
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
¼ cup olive oil[p]In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil until soft[p]1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
3 14-½ oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
1 cup water
10oz. Tomato juice
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Dried basil
½ tsp. Dried oregano
1 tsp Parsley[p]Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.[p]12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
1 large Dungeness crab, cleaned and broken into pieces
1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)[p]bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp). [p]Notes:
If using imitation crab get some legs for looks and the stock
Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.[p]Note: I have never cooked this on the egg, I am wondering how the smoke will change the flavor also the change if using flvor wood. Egg cooking is a next few days project.[p]I hope whoever tries this enjoys it as much as I do.[p]Kent

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Gandpas Grub,
    i cook mine in an egg, using a closed pot. you really want the seafood taste to come thru over the smoke flavor. i do start it open, frying some chourico first and sweating the veggies and tomatoes down for some egg flavor. this is the portuguese version, calderada de piexe. from what i read the portuguese and italians had these dishes, the french all of a sudden had their copycat version around the 60's, bouillabaisse. anyways, cant go wrong with one of these dishes.

[ul][li]fish stew[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thank you, those pictures are great. When we are out and about if this is on the menu I usually order at atleat a cup.[p]I have only once tasted a version I haven't liked and that would have good if it wasn't so heavy seasoned.[p]It will be interesting to taste it from the egg.[p]Kent
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Gandpas Grub,
    Thanks for the recipe! I'll try it on the egg and let you know how it comes out!
    Thanks again!
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That looks great! What temp? How long to cook?
    Hammer

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Simmer (just under a boil)...

I am not sure how to answer this one.

On the stove I bring to a light boil then turn down the heat until boiling stops or leave it at a very light boil.

Most people will say 180° to 190°

With that said when I egg a pot roast I use 'simmer' but that is at 300° grid for 4 to 6 hours. As I recll that gives me a light boil. I have never taken the time to read the temp inside the dutch oven.

Now for what I do when I cook this Cioppino and get the fish stage I am at a light boil add the crab wait a few minutes than add the clams. When the clams begin to open I then put in the cooked shrimp. I wait for the rest of clams and then pull.

I only want the shrimp in for a short time as they will get tough if left in the cooking pot too long.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Hammer,
    you need to cook everything except the seafood til the plum tomatoes start to look good, then layer the sauce with the fish and cook about a half hour at 350. add shell fish last and cook til open. you want 3 kinds of fish for the different textures, haddock/cod/pollock/scrod, some hallibut, and something like sole that will break down. the bread is very important with this dish to tame the allspice, go light with the allspice if you havent cooked with it before.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hammer
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the followup!
    Hammer