Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs?

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,
I've gotten my wife dangerously close to agreeing to let me buy an Egg. I think if I can show her that ribs are do-able on an Egg, that might just push her over the top! So, please help me get my Egg and tell me ribs on an Egg are superior to those done on a gasser!
Thanks and cheers![p]Brian

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Brian, Ribs are good on the egg as well as good on other cookers.....the egg is a stand alone unit when it comes to fire-tending effort (or lack thereof)..
    Once the fire is established its almost like setting a thermostat in its stability.[p]It is a good, predictable solid performer that is hardy effected by outside conditions like wind, rain and snow..[p]makes great jerky too![p]Mop[p]

[ul][li]How are ya![/ul]
  • Brian, buy it and let her vote after the fact. If she votes "nay", veto her vote.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Brian, My EX-WIFE had the controling vote in my first marriage.[p]Marv

• Big Murth
    Options
    Brian,
    My 16 and 14 year old daughters remarked this evening, "The Egg is the best thing we've (I've!) bought" while inhaling a big slab each, of a ribeye roast I cooked tonight. Ribs? hah! I don't know why Mop didn't expound more, but I can't imagine EVER cooking ribs on a gas grill again. In my mind, you're better off cooking ribs under a blowtorch. The Egg is absolutely fabulous not just for ribs, but for anything else you can think of, including "brick oven-style pizza", turkeys, chicken, high-heat seared steaks, pulled pork/beef brisket, all kinds of seafood....you name it. I swallowed hard a little over a year ago, jumped in with both feet, and haven't regretted it since. Better yet, is the amount of support you can get right here from dozens of great people who will cut down the learning curve and get you cooking awesome food---right now! Now go out and get the biggest Egg, and report back with your first Rib Report.
    That is all!
    Over and out,
    Big Murth

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]Well I've been ready for an Egg since my brother got one. He swears its the best thing since sliced bread and I'm inclined to believe him after reading the zillions of posts here.
    He did a turkey at Christmas which is something I've always wanted to try. Said it was perfect.
    As a certified carnivore, I'm always looking for a new way to do ribs, steaks, yardbird and just about anything that clucks, moos, oinks, or quacks.
    Theres a butcher in my town that cuts me ribeyes as thick as phone books, but I'm never satisfied with the results from either my gasser or my old Weber.[p]I'm going to chain the wife to the computer chair until she reads all these posts and then she'll be ready to either concede me my Egg or divorce me, one![p]Thanks to all for your kind advice![p]Brian[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Brian,[p]It is a good product and a cooker/grill/smoker that does it all, and does it all well. It won't fix a garage door but it will cook ribs better than most any metal grill short of something you find in a parking lot that has wheels and a 4' smoke stack that is towed from city to city (not your average backyard grill). It will out perform any backyard grill/smoker out there made by Webber or the like. It's not cheap and while it won't rust away in 3-5 yrs, you can break it if you don't take some very simple precautions now and then. [p]I bought my 1st one (I have 4 ceramic cookers) when I saw it displayed at a local store. They were cooking ribs on it and I had long ago given up on ribs at home. I toasted MANY racks before giving up. I refused to pre-boil ribs! I bought the Egg hoping it would just do ribs - it does and it does them well. You can do them 3-5 ways so you will need to find the way "you" like them. It will also do a bunch of other things as well. Visit the link below and you might get some ideas. [p]Tim[p]
    [ul][li]Tim's Website[/ul]
  • Brian,
    I'm a rookie at eggin, but if you will follow the advice of the folks on here, you can't go wrong. I've had my egg a couple of months, done ribs several times (always following the 3/1/1 method on Tim M's web site and they are awesome. Even the kids said so. Get it.

• Brian,[p]Ribs where the first thing I cooked on my large BGE when I got it home. And I had had all sorts of marginal attempts at ribs on my other 6 or so BBQ's and smokers so I was not expert at the cook to say the least.[p]Anyway... we had some fellows over to work on our heater etc. just about the time the ribs came off the Egg and so I had to give them each a couple ribs before they left... and also my neighbor and his cousin smelled them and dropped by.[p]They all said they were the best ribs they ever had :)
    Oh, my wife and son also raved on about them. Only sad thing was that there was only like 1 rib left for the cook.[p]Buy a BGE...it's wonderful... if you can swing the large ...get it.. as you will be cooking for a lot of people even if you dont plan on it.. I mean.. if you want more than one rib for yourself :)[p]Happy Egging.... BB [p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Brian,[p]The Egg is a four season cooker (it can cook very well when you do not wish to use it) that is most forgiving with any cook, allowing much enjoyment while exploring its capabilities.[p]This website is proof that the Egg is worth taking a look at (go to the gasser.com forum for comparison). We talk about, discuss, and argue many things here, but the truth is we all are here only to help each other to improve their cooking method and technique to create the very best.[p]You are purchasing a product with a life time warrantee that has a proven history of being be honored. I have no affiliation with the BGE Co. other than to be a satisfied user.[p]Ribs on the Egg vs. gas, hell yeh![p]Spin