Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new pork butt recipe

Options
nodock
nodock Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is from the lady who wrote the cookbook "Cookwise"...sold over 200,000 copies.....[p]3 to 7# bone in butt
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice or liquid
1 peaspoon salt[p]place meat in roasting pan, slosh on sauce, on all sides, pack on brown sugar all over, pour in apple juice, carefull not disturb surger coating. cover....put in 200 degree for 7 hours. don't peek.[p]remove...when cool skim fat and add salt.....can pull it or chuck it..have not tried it...what to you all think????

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    nodock,
    I hear that is a good book, and definitely a knowledgeable author. But I sure hope 200,000 people have not tried to cook a 7 pound butt in a 200 degree oven for 7 hours. [p]Marinade sounds good though. I need to get me one of those peaspoons!
    Happy new year mang.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I would think it would just be starting into the plateau at 7 hours.

Must be a low-salt recipe:

1 teaspoon = 5 peaspoons
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nature Boy wrote:
    nodock,
    I hear that is a good book, and definitely a knowledgeable author. But I sure hope 200,000 people have not tried to cook a 7 pound butt in a 200 degree oven for 7 hours. [p]!

No kidding...mass trichinosis. Did my first butt on NYE and it turned out great. Eight pound bone-in butt @ 250-275 for 11 hours. Pulled right on time at 195 degrees. The guests loved it.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    nodock,[p]It sounds good, although I don't own a peaspoon...[p]You are referring to Shirley O. Corriher, and yes she is an excellent food science gal and author. She appears on occasion on Alton Brown's shows, some claim that he gets a lot of his ideas through her. When you read her book, you will see why. The approach is real nice, she prosents a theory, then a couple of recipes to prove it.[p]By the way, she is another one that cooks prime rib at 200°, then ramps up to 500° at the end.[p]She is a little easier to read than Harold McGee, but I would recommend picking up both of their books.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • nodock
    nodock Posts: 26
    Options
    thirdeye,
    yes it is Shirley...we were with her last night...known her for many years....going out this week and buy a butt...can the egg hold at 200????or do have go to my oven????thanks,

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    nodock,
    That's really cool. You have a good resource knowing a food scientist/cook as a friend! [p]The egg can hold 200, but since it is "covered" (I just noticed that now...and that might be how you can do this in 7 hours at 200) then the oven would probably work just as well! With a covered container at 200, would that be about the same as a crock pot??[p]Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Sounds good to me...now if I can just finger out where I left that 'peaspoon' :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    nodock,
    i would bump that up in the egg, maybe 275 or even a tadd higher, just because the egg thermometer is placed differently than an oven and there is a dead space of lower temps above the platesetter. simmering with my setup is above 300 with my big dutch. the recipe looks more like a pot roast recipe, i dont cover a potroast with liquid like most seem to do, i like how the top gets crunchy. bet it doesnt need to be covered in an egg either, just basted and adding liquid when needed, the dome is a big cover.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it