Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork roast confusion

Options
Never Summer
Never Summer Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm rather ignorant when it comes to cuts of meat. I went to buy a pork butt, but our small town grocery store didn't have one - but they did have a 4.25 lb. bone-in pork loin sirloin roast. The butcher said it would be even better than a pork butt for smoking. Is that true or should I do something different with it? I didn't notice until I got home that in extremely small print it says "injected with a solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphates - up to 12%". I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed - if I wanted it injected I would have done it myself with some flavor![p]Any suggestions on what to do with this roast? [p]You guys are the greatest! I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying my egg since I found this forum. I've been making my own pizza for years and had the best one ever on the egg a few nights ago. I'm looking forward to many wonderful meals on the egg in 2008 and I wish the same for all of you.[p]Thanks for all the help you so freely give.[p]Patty

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Never Summer,[p]Pork loin doesn't have nearly the fat or cartiledge a butt has. The butt's big mass of connective tissue is what allows it to be cooked to falling apart without drying out. The cartiledge turns to gelatin, and ends up giving the meat a very smooth texture. If a loin portion is done the same way, it will just dry out. In fact, the pre-injection is a commercial attempt to avoid dryness. Because the Egg retains moisture so well, the injection doesn't really help, and adds unneccessary salt.[p]So,you might make your own rub, and leave out most of the salt. Then cook the loin at a somewhat higher temperature, around 325, so that it heats through before drying out. Fortunately, the loin muscle is pretty tender, and is easily cut, and doesn't require the tenderizing of a lo-n-slo cook.[p]Do continue to look for a big butt, or picnic. [p]gdenby

• Never Summer
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Thanks for this info. I looked further into the archives and found some recipes for butterflied and stuffed loin roasts. I'll give one of them a try.[p]I'm still looking forward to smoking a butt![p]Patty

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    PorkCuts.gif
    <p />Never Summer,[p]Unfortunately, your meat cutter doesn't know much about cooking pork. A loin and a shoulder butt are two totally different muscles. On top of that, he should not have recommended an enhanced pork product especially when you told him what you have in mind.[p]A loin roast is a "high on the hog" cut and much leaner than a butt. This is where loin pork chops are cut from. You will have better luck grilling it or cooking indirect at higher pit temps, like 300°-325° or so. I take them to an internal temperature of 145° or 150° and let rest 15 minutes. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Never Summer,[p]Be careful if you have a bone-in pork sirloin. There is a bone that usually runs pretty much right through the center of that cut. [p]The bone-in sirloin is from the rear end of the loin and usually contains part of the backbone and hip bone. Difficult to carve and I don't quite know how you would butterfly it.[p]Where are you located? A boston butt can also be referred to as a pork butt, shoulder roast, blade roast, shoulder blade roast. You can also buy a picnic to make pulled pork, which is the lower part of the shoulder and upper part of the front leg.[p]
  • thirdeye
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Wouldn't that be collagen?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]What do meat cutters do with the jowl? I remember going to several pig pickins where I could always get some of the jowl meat and cracklin' if I was pretty close to the beginning of the line.
  • Never Summer
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Thanks for the additional names to look for. I'm in the Rocky Mountains about 2 1/2 miles NW of Denver. I'll wing it with this roast and buy the butt the next time I'm in Denver. We do have a City Market (I think they're a part of Kroger) nearby, but they seem to have trouble keeping help. Our good meat market in town was out of butts.[p]I've got some fatties on the egg now and will put this roast in when they're done.[p]Patty[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    9bd75da6.jpg
    <p />DynaGreaseball,[p]You smoke 'em up and use mostly for flavoring black eyed peas and collard greens. [p]Ross came pretty close to showing us some today. Heheee.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Never Summer,[p]Do you ever shop the Avanza markets? One is on South Federal and one is on Pecos.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Never Summer
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. Do you know any good places in Denver to get egg supplies? I need to get a cast iron grate and different woods for smoking.[p]Patty
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Never Summer,[p]Christmas and New Year is tamale time and butt is the meat of choice. Check the ad link to Avanza below. Butts are on special $.99 this week (top of ad). The prices are pretty good on the beef shank, pork steaks (cut from butt) and neck bones too. It's a great store. The pastry section is pretty wild.[p]I drove down to Ft. Fun when I bought my Egg, but there is an Egg distributor south of Denver. It's where the Colorado Eggfest is held.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Avanza Ad[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Never Summer
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I was wondering if there was an Eggfest in Colorado. I hope it's an annual event! I'll be there. Thanks for the ad, too. Looks like my kind of store.[p]Patty
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    I think the place thirdeye is probably thinking of is Outdoor Kitchen. They are close to the Tech Center. Here's their website info.[p]http://www.outdoorkitchen.com/denver/home.html

• Never Summer
    Options
    cj,[p]Thanks for the link - I'll be stopping by there on my next trip to Denver. I may make it on a Saturday since it looks like they cook on the egg then. Being new to the egg, it will be nice to see someone else in action.[p]Patty