Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the BGE and have only used it twice with someone else starting the fire. In all cases, the temp seems to work at lower temps but has been difficult to maintain higher temps. Even with the vents open all the way, right now the brisket temp is going down to 200 and I wanted a steady 250. It took forever to get the coals lit and they are still not all gray. Tried following the firestarter suggestions but am frustrated by difficulty of how long it is taking to light and how difficult it has been to maintain higher temps. Suggestions?

Comments

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Gina in Nashville,
    check the line up of the innard pc at bottom with the vent door. the openings should line up....also a coat hangar with a 2" long pc bent at a 90 degree angle and ran into vent opening at bottom and into the holes of the fire grate can sometimes unblock small pcs of lump and ash that have clogged the holes...ifyou want to get your fire raging then after you light your fire starters....leave vent door all the way open and the lid to top open after a few minutes the fire shold be raging[p]don't believe dvd when it says you can be cooking in 7 minutes.....all good things come to those who wait[p]good luck and keep us posted[p]Jan[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gina in Nashville,
    You are using lump charcoal aren't you? You don't need to wait for it to ash over like you do with briquettes. Here are a couple of my webpages that might help you:[p]Temperature Control[p]Ceramic Cooker FAQ[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Gina in Nashville,
    you need more lump than the "handful" which seems to be what a lot of sales lit and people quote. fill it up to the top of the firebox (the seam between the upper fire ring and the lower fire box).[p]also, no need to wait for it all to ash over and get gray.it never will. you'll be burning very little lump at 250, and it all won't be needed or burning during the cook. [p]sounds like you are running out of lump....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Gina in Nashville,
    You are used to using briquettes. Lump does not have to grey over to be ready to cook, and if you wait till they do you have wasted a lot of lump. You want just a slight wisp of smoke out the top, and it's ready to go. I don't think you filled it up to the top of the fire ring either because the temp shouldn't be going down.

• P1010090.jpg
    <p />Gina in Nashville,
    What happened to woosday?
    P1010150.jpg
    P1010107.jpg