Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Temp

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
happy new year to all my fellow eggheads thanks so much for all the great cooking ideas and suggestions that you all offered in 07' and i'm sure it will keep right on into the new year 08'
now the question i had was i'm doing ribs today and wanted to know should i use the maverick E-73 or the thermopen to monitor the cooking temp and if so what temp do i cook them to ( or what temp are they done at ) i'm looking at doing them around 375° for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs thanks in advance
Beast

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    xmas07ribs_1_web.jpg
    <p />Beast,[p]I've never judged rib doneness by temp, so I'm not sure what they should be. But there are three different methods that others have suggested on this forum that I incorporate, and they are all good indicators (credit Nature Boy, Car Wash Mike, tjv, and others):[p]1) The "Toothpick Test": A toothpick inserted into the thickest rib meat should pull out with no resistance. [p]2) The "Bender Test": A rack picked up on one end should fold over almost to the point of breaking in half. [p]3) The "Bone Test": A rack is usually done when the meat has pulled back about 1/4" from the end of the bone.[p]I probably use #1 the most, and it is very reliable.[p]To my liking, meat should not be falling off the bone, but should come clean from the bone with a moderate tug.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Beast,
    Like TRex said. Use one of the other tests, not temp. Personally, I think 375 is way to high. Good luck.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    TRex,[p]What about 4) The "I'll cut a rib off the end and sample that bad boy" Test: This method is vary accurate and rewarding too. I suggest cooking an extra rack until you get the hang of this method. Heheeee.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS - In lieu of this, I use #1 the most.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Beast,
    I agree that 375F is too high. I cook mine at a lower temp. These ribs below were done at this point and very juicy. Notice that the meat has receded from the end, leaving the bones sticking out. I did not sauce these at all! [p] DSCI0015-1.jpg

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]LOL - I like that method (and secretly use it to confirm #s 1-3 from time to time).[p]Happy New Year,[p]TRex