Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Temp VS Dome Temp Question

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been a little busy lately so I haven't had as much time to keep up with everything around here, but I've been seeing a lot of references to Polders in potatoes and such.

My question would be this, are you getting these significantly lower grill temp readings on an empty Egg?
Or are these readings being taken while a cook is taking place?[p]The difference being that a 40 degree brisket, shoulder or rack is going to give you a lower reading at the grill level than a fire in an empty Egg that is delivering the same amount of heat, while the whole point of low and slow cooking is to keep the heat to a minimum giving these tough cuts of meat time to tenderize in their own juices.[p]Just my 2 cents worth, but my tried and true method is to establish a 200 degree fire for an hour or so before adding the cadaver, and give the Egg plenty of time to come back up to 200 on its own after adding the meat without adjusting the draft or the damper at all unless I've got the Egg close to capacity.
When the colder meat enters the Egg, it's temp will radiate and bring down the ambient temp in the dome, but increasing the heat from the fire is akin to grilling, the very thing that we are trying to avoid.
Think about it in terms of cooking in your kitchen oven; when cookies call for a preheated 350 degree oven, you wouldn't crank the heat up to 450 when you slide the cookie sheets in. The oven will come back up to 350 on its own same as the Egg, unless you seriously restrict the airflow.
Again, just my two cents but probably something to think about.[p]Good Q to You and Yours,
C~Q

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Very interesting thoughts. Perhaps having a brisket slammed into one's head makes one smarter...[p]Just kidding...still amazed by that story...[p]Anyway, I'm very interested in these temp discussions and eagerly await the replies. Your logic seems to make sense.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Cornfed,
    That was a 15.8 pound brisket, don't forget!
    Oh yeah, did I mention that it only cost me $18.50?

• Citizen Q,
    Just my thoughts.....An empty egg is one thing....Temp is certainly pretty consistent thoughout the egg. It's when you put a plate setter and divert the air flow so it goes up the sides and out the top without touching the meat. The plate setter surely would heat up and radiate heat to the meat but you might even set a pie tin full of water on the plate setter under the meat. Under those conditions the whole dynamics of the oven change and could possibly lead to too low of temp on the meat to be safe. Just for me, I'm more comfortable measuring the grill temp instead of guessing at what it might be. Everyone has their own way of doing things. To each their own.