Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breasts - rub, cooking time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7 pound turkey breast in apple brine from the Bill Wise's cookbood. Should I do a rub? Also any suggestions on cooking time and temp.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Mustard
    Options
    I did a turkey breast on Christmas day. I injected the night before with creole butter (forget the brand name) marinade and then just before I put it on the egg I rubbed creole seasoning and strategically placed butter pats and rosemary sprigs under the skin. I then olive oiled the skin and used more creole seasoning on it.

I do turkey breasts like this about once a quarter and always during the holiday. They come out great and are one of my favorite things to cook.

The rosemary was a last minute thing that I added because I had it fresh on hand and was trying to find something to do with it. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't work with the creole stuff, but it actually added a good twist.
  • Josh,
    I would put some rub on it and then smoke cook indirect at 225 degrees . to 165 internal temp. I would guess about 3-4 hours. Put water in the drip pan under it. Use 2 pecan wood chucks and maybe 1 apple if handy.

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options

Did one about the same size last week. Cooked at 275 dome temp. Cooked faster than I thought it would at about 2 1/2 hrs to 165. used drip pan with water & wine mix (hungover didn't want to drink the wine) Added a little rosemary to the rub and it added a nice touch.
    Good Luck Pat

• dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 35
    Options
    I did 3 turkey breast at Christmas. I pull them at 160 degrees and foil for about one hour or so. I inject with Tony Sacherys (sp) Cajun Butter. I cooked at about 300 to 325 degrees indirect.
    They turn out great and alway the best turkey ever. I also smoke with pecan.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Josh,[p]I do turkey breasts at 325 indirect. I like to rub and/or inject them. Make sure the skin is dry, then rub lightly with oil and put on the rub of choice.[p]Pull them at 160 internal, then tent under foil for 15-20 minutes and they will be perfect.[p]Use cherry chunks if you have any for good color. Pecan is also good for flavor.
  • dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 35
    Options
    Josh,

I found this in my saved files. This has good photos and instructions.

http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbq-page26.html

I hope that this is still available!

David