Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I forgot how much fun it was...... (pics)

Options
Mike in Abita
Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
to grill on the Mini. My BIL whom I gave the Mini to, brought it with him when he came in for Christmas. [p]Decided to do a few steaks tonight. TRex style. [p]MesquiteSmoke.jpg[p]Mini looks good sitting there.[p]
Char.jpg[p]Spring Chicken reminded me how well this little thing sears.[p]SteakAbita.jpg[p]Half a potato and a Pecan Harvest Ale made for a good dinner. [p]Thanks Chicken for the inspiration, Trex for the method and Nature Boy for the Cow Lick.[p]Mike

Comments

• Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Options
    I just drank a few of those pecan ale's and they sure are good but I didn't have the steak to go along with it.

I have a brother that lives in N.O. and it's just a 3 hour drive, maybe I could spend a weekend with him sometime and pay you a visit.
    What say you?
    I would absolutely love to spend a little time with a serious egghead. I have a lot of catching up to do.
    On the other hand maybe I'm being a little to forward.
    It's the wine you know.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Not a problem. I travel alot with my job. Maybe I could come up to you. Next time your down give me a shout. I like your idea about buying a few pallets of lump, count me in for 20 bags.

Mike
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    Options
    The only lump I have used is BGE and Natural Glow what do you like?
    I just want to find a high quality product and try to buy bulk but I don't really know what to zero in on yet. I wonder if the Naked Wiz could weigh in on this? I'm thinking he want.
    Since I am the purchasing agent where work I know that most companies will bargain if the quantity is right and since the Jackson area is lump poor if I can find a hand full of the right people maybe we could change our lump poor status.
    If your willing to drive up here for 20 bags that is certainly a start. Of course if the price is right I can ship it to you. Knowing freight prices and all that pallet would have to be pretty cheap for me to be able to reship and still provide a resonable savings.
    I will start looking into this seriously.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    Used and abused :>)[p]Dirty dome.......fried gasket.....that is no show room Egg but an object of love.[p]btw the steak looks good too.

• Mike in Abita,
    great stuff![p]i just found a place up here that has abita beers... gonna check it out this week

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I hope you enjoy the beer. I was tryin to find your address and send you a few.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I didn't notice the gasket till you mentioned it. I went out and checked it and sure enough welded shut. Got it open and it is completely fried. I'll wat till BIL wakes up and let him know he needs a new one. HAAA
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    You longing for a Mini again? That thing looks like a lot of fun, and by the looks of things, it's seen some serious use! Steaks look great, Mike.

Don't you have a Rutland on your XL? Do you think it would work on the Mini? Or is it too thick for it?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep I have a Rutland on the XL. After what Grandpas Grub posted yesterday I think it will come off and be replaced with the new Nomex from BGE.

New gaskets for both.

And to answer your question. Yes I miss the Mini. I'll probably relace it with the MED though.
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Nomex, huh? Is that listed on their site? (looking there now...) A few high temp cooks from now, and I'm pretty sure that my gasket will be toast.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of. I know it made the forum about a week or two ago.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ah yes, the mini. I have a date with mine tonight and a big fat porterhouse.

I am going to try to cut me a cast iron grid for it today sometime as well.

Nice looking steak Mike.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]It really is nice to see that isn't it? I look at my Large and think, "I should get a new one it's all nasty inside and out and my wife says it's an embarrassment." Then I come to my senses and realize that Egg will out live me. As it is the kids and grandkids are fighting over who will get it "when the old man kicks the big one".
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    What brand of grate are you going to cut down to make a CI grid? I may do the same thing and suprise my BIL.

Mike
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    What brand of grate are you going to cut down to make a CI grid? I may do the same thing and suprise my BIL.

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm going to the big box home stores today to see what they have. Probably Weber - but whatever is cheap.