Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How High Would You Go?

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend I visited one of those high priced specialty food stores. As it was I had already spent a good deal of money in the store when I came across some premium steaks. In their case, they had some NY Strips that were nice and thick cut. When I inquired about the meat, they told me that it was 21-day dry aged beef. They also said that it was a mere $17.99 per pound. I figured that each steak would have been about one pound each, so we were talking about $40 for two steaks. [p]Needless to say I passed up the “deal of a lifetime”. Ha.[p]Now keep in mind that I am usually will to pay for quality, but this seemed excessive.[p]My question is, “How much would you be willing to pay for premium aged beef?”[p]Just wondering,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That is a tough one. I spent $18.99 on some filet mignons. But that was for Christmas dinner as a gift for my Mom. They were excellent. But then again, the ribeyes that I got for 3.99 at Safeway on sale taste mighty fine. Tri-Tip steaks at costco are even cheaper, and they are great in there own right. Egg makes for great results with many cheaper meats.[p]All that said, I can't see a reason, myself, for spending over 10 bucks a pound for beef. I would rather treat myself to Lobster, and cook a $3.99 ribeye. Just me though.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    There more that I think about, you are right.[p]I can almost always purchase a whole Filet for around $9.99 a pound. That is about $50 for some premium Beef.
    I guess that I did right by letting them age the steaks some more in their case.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I tend to agree with NB. I'm able to get ribeyes for about $3.99 a pound fairly regularly here, sometimes I have to buy whole and have them cut but even so, the "thick cut" steaks are not thick enough for my taste so I generally have them cut anyway. When I see a good deal on meats I usually take advantage of it and stock up a bit. I've spent good money on filets also but it was for a special occasion, would not spend it on just regular cooks. I don't see that the extra aged meats etc. are really worth it on a regular basis but are nice to get for those really special cooks. Just MHO.[p]Troy
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] Some people swear by aged steaks. It definitly is a different flavor, but not worth all the extra cash, IMHO. Incidentally, someone asked about home-aging your own beef on Kim O'Donnel's cooking chat on washingtonpost.com a couple months back so I did some research. Apparently it is *possible*, but when they started talking about cutting off the moldy parts before cooking, I got a little grossed out. After all, this is beef, not cheese! I put one of the less-gross links below. From what I saw on their website, however, the USDA is -- how to put this delicately -- a bit less optimistic about this procedure . . .[p]BTW, the person who originally asked the question tried it and was very happy with the results. However, she used a separate "extra" refrigerator to do it (better moisture control)
    [ul][li]Aging Beef at Home?[/ul]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That's why they call them aged. No one will pay that kind of price for those steaks so they just lie in the meat department and AGE& AGE & AGE ! ! ! Maybe that's where a certain contributor to this column bought his bird. Aged Bird. Heeeee I still got it.

MAC

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I also find that with all the possibilities for steaks...from simple pepper seasoning, to hog wild's simple marinade (lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil), to mustard slather plus any rub or char crust....all the way to flash freeze smoking to searing at 700, to the 400 lower temp method. Don't forget the possibilities for stuffing steaks. [p]So many possibilities for different flavors, that the real expensive aged meat becomes less of an issue. I guess for the purist, nice aged beef with a simple pepper seasoning, and maybe a little smoke, is the best thing in the world. And it probably is worth doing on a special gourmet occasion.[p]But for most occasions not worth the big bucks.
    Thanks for posing that question about costs. Hadn't really thought about it much til now.[p]Happy Searing
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've gone that high on filets for very special occasions but wonder If I could perceive the difference on those NY strips at twice the price I'm used to. Maybe if we went together to that specialty store and explained our unique "Egger" affiliation, they would donate some samples. I would be happy to report my findings to the forum. hehehe[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Kennyg,
    I tried that, but they just did not understand. [p]The store was Urban Feast in Cleveland Heights, just south of Cedar on Lee Rd. They do not have a great selection, but they do have some stuff that I have never seen before. The also have some pretty interesting wines.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Read an article on dry aged beef several months back on there is one thing to keep in mind about it. During the dry aging process the meat loses a significant amount of mass similar to beef jerky. I wish I could remember how much but I can't. I'm pretty sure it was more than 25% of its weight but I just can't recall.[p]Living in Seattle I'm very, very used to paying big bucks for steaks. Prime grade (only get on very special occasions, maybe twice a year) NY's go for ~$18 and filets ~$25. I shudder to think how much they'd demand for dry-aged! The only positive side is that you can get fresh Alaskan salmon occasionally on sale for as low as $3 a pound. =)

• The Colonel
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Call me cheap, but $18 a pound for a good steak that I have to cook--NOPE not this fat boy---My butcher in Connelly Springs get the finest cuts of New York and Rib Eye and I haven't paid more than $6.50 a pound yet.
    and when the egg is finished I challenge any steak house in the country to put out something 1/2 as good.
    yours (cheap fat boy) in the egg--The Colonel