Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Large?

Options
Frank
Frank Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
I am on the verge of buying a Big Green Egg, and I am having trouble deciding between the medium and large sizes. Space on the deck or in the carport really isn't an issue. Cost is, but perhaps over the long haul it is worth it to have the larger one. My wife and I do not do much entertaining except when the kids come home to visit, but we do tend to grill a bunch of stuff at one time and freeze it for handy weekday meals. I'm assuming the amount of charcoal used is not all that greater for the large, but let me know if I'm wrong. With the medium, I guess I could grill multiple batches on the same load of charcoal, right?
Any advice?
Thanks,
Frank

Comments

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    How often do the kids come to visit? We bought a large and I'd say most of the time when we bbq, we aren't using all the space. But it sure is nice to have when we do need it.

It also depends on what you're cooking. If you're doing ribs a lot, then there's no question that you want the large. Or if you do turkeys. Those would be the only two items I can think of (that I cook) that take up a large space.

I actually plan to add a small this summer for times when I don't need the space. I am also going to get an egg for our cabin in Oregon and haven't decided which size. A medium might be the answer there. Our kids are older and don't go everywhere with us now. I don't know, though, because traditionally there have been large crowds when we're there, and I can pick up a large through eggfests but not a medium, so I'll probably end up with a large there as well.

Another factor is how you use the egg. I don't use if for a lot of sides like others on this forum do. I've got a very nice oven inside the house and like to use that. But if I didn't have that, I'd do more on the egg and then the large would be a necessity. I don't particularly care for the oven at our cabin, so that's another point for getting the large there - I'll use the egg for most of my evening cooking.

Over the years, reading the large versus medium posts. the vast majority of the votes are for the large if it's your first or only egg, so...

Let us know when you get it!
  • dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 35
    Options
    Buy Large! I have no regrets. You will sooner or later need the large.
    Its better to buy too large than too small.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have one of each. I had the large first, then added the medium about four years later.

The large does use more lump than the medium. The medium will cook just about anything the large will. I have used a 7qt dutch oven on the medium, done two 7 pound butts, cooked a 7.6 pound rib roast, and a 9 pound brisket - all with room to spare. It cooks more than you think. The large is better for doing a lot of steaks, burgers, wings, or other direct type cooks.

I use the medium at least twice as often as I use the large. With dual grids you can cook a lot of food on the medium.

If cost is a restricting factor, get the medium.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    XL are really big ,can almost put a hog in there,I got a large 1st I just love it ,but now I also have a small ,it seems to be the trend , after the 1st one they seem to follow you home, like a cute puppy in the window
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    It is just the two of us me and mom and I asked the same question about witch to buy medium or the large, and I decided to go large. We like to do pulled pork and what you don't eat at the meal freeze for later (even better) next time around on poboys. We always cook extra so there are leftovers. I have not looked back and the extra size between med and large is great when you need it....

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    A large eggfest demo egg will be your best bang for the buck.
    Gittin' there...
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Definitely get the large.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Large.   We planned to purchase a medium and the salesmen really made us rethink our choice.  Glad we listened to him.  FWIW a large is not that large and in the long run, not that much more expensive.  You won't be sorry  going with the large.  Enjoy.
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    100% large.  It isn't that much bigger...but does give you more grate space.  Fuel usage is generally similar...just a bit more.  The extra space will be there when you need it...and the large isn't too big to do simple small cooks.  I had a medium once upon a time....then a large....and I actually got rid of the medium.  It could be just me...but I was always able to regulate the large a whole lot easier than the medium.  
  • BigGreenPaul
    Options
    Def go XL! You'll like the L but will always want a bigger one in the back of your mind. Then you'll host a party. Get the XL if you can.