Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a competition rib question: spares or baby backs?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just out of curiosity (ok ok and ignorance as well!) what do judges prefer to see when it comes to ribs? Spares or baby backs or are spares mandated in sanctioned cook offs?
I
In nearly eight years I've never even tried spares on my BGE. I wonder if I've been missing something since I ONLY egg baby backs.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP,
    I may be wrong here - but I think it all depends on the contest you're entering and their rules.Most that I've been a part of specify the "baby back" or St.Louis style.

• RRP,[p]I keep coming back to spares. Seems Car Wash Mike and others who've done them for a long time...including you, prefer the baby backs. The spares seem to have a little more meat (as well as fat), and they take a little longer to cook. There's not too much difference in taste that I can tell, but I think I get a little more to eat out of a rack. The spares have a row of gristles, like knuckles between the ribs, and the flap. I like them, but a lot of people don't.[p]I don't compete (except with my wife for the remote), so I will be glad to hear that answer, as well.[p]Regards,[p]DynaGreaseball[p]
  • DynaGreaseball,
    I like the taste of spares as well, as with most foods, the fat content determines the taste!

• RRP,
    KCBS rules does not differ from baby back vs spares. I have done both and won with both. I will say that spares have two advantages vs baby backs. One is you can cut them down St, Louis style and have a more uniform look. The other is there is less of an arch on them and easier to get more than six in a box. A little more meat on the spares as well. [p]This last season I did both but in 2008 I will do spares only.
    Just my opinion.

• Buster Dog BBQ,
    Does your cooking technique change much from one to the other?

• ChiliPimp,
    I typically do something similar to the 3.1.1 method but usually it is more like 4.1.1 whereas the last hour is usually just about 30 min.

• Buster Dog BBQ,[p]That's what I do too. I have been foiling during the 4th hour, as well, but I never change the temperature. I do them at around 250°
  • Buster Dog BBQ,
    Man I'm about to show you how un-educated I am! Is asking you what these methods are intruding or is it something you can share?

• ChiliPimp,
    Not at all. [p]Basically I rub the ribs, put them on with about a 250 dome temp for about 4 hours. I then put them in foil with some stuff for about an hour, then when they come out of the foil they go back on the egg for about 30 min and sauce. When you pick them up in the middle with tongs, if they bend in the middle they are done. Gotta kind of watch the foil time as it is an estimate. You could end up steaming the bone away from the meat.

• ChiliPimp,[p]LOL...sorry man. The 3-1-1 method for ribs is a very popular algorithym around here. We forget that someone might not know what that means.[p]Car Wash Mike (as well as others) is kinda the ribs guru in the forum. It's kind of a standard, but a lot of peeps altar his method a little bit in the different stages. The numbers refer to stages of the cook: the firt stage is the "3". It means three hours at say 250°. Then, the next number, "1" etc. etc. [p]If you haven't done ribs like this, man you're in for some good eating![p]I think you can find it in the Forum Recipes section. Not sure if Wiz has it on his site.[p]
    Enjoy

• DynaGreaseball,
    Thanks a lot - be patience with me, I'm learning!

• ChiliPimp,[p]If I can help, I will. (That's what Fidel always says too).[p]The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    DynaGreaseball,
    i prefer spares because they are much cheaper, you get more meat, and the trimmings are an ideal 'extra'.[p]baby backs, seems to me, just have a better PR campaign.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]Take a look at WessB's web site for more details...
    [ul][li]Some of My Cooks--Pork[/ul]
  • we may learn the Bobby Q squeezed Kevin method! I am sure it has to do with foil also.

Gene
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    RRP,
    With 10 years experience, I would prefer that KCBS would mandate spares.[p]Minus points are: failure to deliver ribs that are warm/hot...over cooking to the point that the rib bones are showing...foiling to the point that the ribs taste like they are boilded...over saucing...not including an extra rib for the table captain.[p][p]

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    RRP, in my little contest experince I don't remember either being mandated. Most folks seem to cook baby backs for MIM and spares for KCBS and FBA. Folks cook every what they feel they can turn in the best product with. [p]This past Friday I cleaned out freezer from contest left over ribs and Saturday we had a little rib cooking at a friends shop. We usually buy ribs by the case for a contest.We usually have one or two slabs that we don't use so we vaccum seal and freeze. We rolled out the old offset and cooked them the old country way. Made for a great meal and a fun afternoon.
    Ribs were great, not competition style, but still a winner with all.[p]Good Eggin'
    Poppasam