Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt on egg now, problems at midpt

Options
gulfegg
gulfegg Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egg is full of charcoal(cowboy) at 5:30pm for beer can chicken w/ temp at 350. Very slowly choke temp down to 250. Put the 8lb butt on at 9:45pm, temp is steady 250. At 12:20am temp is 230, slightly lowered but still in 220-250 range. At 1:00am back at 250 and off to bed. [p]Very uneasy, but have to trust virtues off eggdom and have faith.
Wake up at 6:45am temp is 75, pork is 100. I've blown it! Somewhere in the process I've screwed the pooch, back to why later. In 200 oven for 45min while I rebuild fire.[p]7:30am back on egg at 300(speeding up, probably a mistake).
11:45am cut temp back to 275 when I hit 170 on the pork. Again, this is opposite of how nakedwhiz says to handle the plateau, but I need to slow things down now for a late afternoon sitdown or we'll be eating McDonalds.[p]What went wrong? I dumped the bag in and did not selectively pick out larger coals. I laughed at how meticulous some people are about this, now I get it served the hard way. Lesson 1 learned.[p]Lesson 2. I guess I was overly ambitious as a new egger to try the chicken and then the butt in the same cook. It is very doable, but I had 4hrs of burn w/ nothing on the grill that clearly hurt me. My poor fire construction would have still seen it fizzling out around 7-10am, but I would've been up to minimize damage. One positve, I have come light years in temperature control, well worth a $15 piece of meat if it hits the dog bowls.[p]I'll post picures and a report from the dinner table(or emergency room) as this unfolds. [p]Oh yeah, the chicken was incredible at chopped up before I got to take pictures. Very pleased w/ egg despite learning curve.

Roll Tide Roll!

Comments