Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

newbee cooking steaks

Hello, i was hoping someone can help me with my steaks. I am a new Egg owner and tried cooking steaks the other night; they came out tasting like carcoal? i used the receipt simple steaks on the forum. After i seared the steaks i closed everthing down and continued to cook them for an additional 4 min. I beileve this is where i created the smoke flavor, by snuffing out the coals. On a side note the steaks were juicy and done just the way i like them (med-rare) but the falvor was not good (lump charcoal falvor). Any suggestions or helpful hint would be very appricated, i plan on trying again tonight but at $60 a pop i would like to get it right.
Thanks,
Bip
·

Comments

• hankhank Posts: 84
    Hard to say what might have caused the flavor. I have found that some lump is less inclined to offend than others. One thing to consider is that when you are high-temping steaks make sure ALL of the coals are lit and lava-hot. Shutting things down with some smoldering lump can produce some off flavors...
    ·
  • [url] http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    go here, read this. i suspect closing the egg completely with the food still inside would give some yucky smoke to your meat. hope this helps happy new year
    bill
    ·
  • BipBip Posts: 2
    Bill,
    Thanks, i have heard of the nakedwhiz sight but have never visited it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bip
    ·
  • BipBip Posts: 2
    Hank,
    I think you hit it right on the head. Remembering back i did have some of the carcoal that was not fully lit but the temp. was o.k. so i didn't think anything about it. do you have a suggestion on how to make sure all the coals get lit in a resonable amount of time (maybe i had to many)? I did steady the temp. of 725 for nearly 1/2 hour before putting the steak's on. Thanks again,
    Bip
    ·